Wheel size

Greg Davis

Wheel size

Post by Greg Davis »

I am currently in Arizona and am interested in buying some 4" VW wheels from a junk yard here, but want to make sure they're correct. I know they should be stamped "4J" & have the VW logo, but am not sure of the actual dimensions of the wheel. I am looking for the dimension across the outside diameter and the outside width. If someone could provide this info I would very much appreciate it.
Veefan

Re: Wheel size

Post by Veefan »

If you take the measurement of from the inside of the bead, you'll get 4" X 15" but that's hard to do at a junk yard with the tire mounted on it...

The actual measurements edge to edge of the 4J 15 rim steel rim with a tape measure on is 16" 1/4 x 5"
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Greg,
If it's "OLD" (usually RUSTY) and has the 4J x 15 and VW stamps ... and it's in a JUNKYARD (or similar)...., you can bet your ... backside.... that it's acceptable for FV :P
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

Thanks much for the info Stevan & Veefan.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

There are also slotted and solid (non-slotted) wheels. Both are acceptable for FV. The slotted ones look a little nicer and I think they may be an ounce or 2 lighter. The GCR now also allows you to run 'equivalent' after market wheels (they LOOK like Beetle wheels), but those wheels (at least all that I'm aware of) are 4 1/2 inches wide. They are still legal as we allowed them in the rules since new 'standard' wheels are VERY difficult to get ... and quite expensive. I have no idea how the weight compares to VW wheels, nor how well they stand up under the rigors of racing (look at a picture of a VW wheel heavily loaded in a corner!).

If they are used (as most are), when (before if possible) you purchase you should also check the wheels for 'true'. If you roll them across a flat floor, they should track straight and not wobble. You can straighten minor issues to a degree using 2 large crescent wrenches if the damage is just around the outside of the rim. A HAMMER can be used to coerce wheels when necessary (but don't try that on a CAST wheel <G>. Usually, if there is no VISIBLE damage they are OK, but check them before you mount a tire on them.
FYI,
Steve
igino

Post by igino »

Just to confirm, are these the wheels you were referring to?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C-C10-6620

Thanks!!
brian

Post by brian »

Although a passing art, many areas have a wheel shop that can straighten steel wheels. Check the yellow pages, I used to get wheels fixed for $20 but the ol boy retired. Never did find his equipment.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

igino wrote:Just to confirm, are these the wheels you were referring to?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C-C10-6620

Thanks!!
Yes, those are acceptable wheels - but only in the 4.5 inch size. The rules allow either the standard 4" or the alternate 4.5" - Nothing wider.
Before you buy, you might want to check with the vendors at the top of this page to see if they can beat that price. SHIPPING is always a problem - sometimes you can find someone close by the vendor who can bring them to a race for you.
Steve