Part number for front/rear wheel cylinders

jstoezel

Part number for front/rear wheel cylinders

Post by jstoezel »

Hello,

Could somebody point me to the right part numbers for front and rear wheel cylinders?

Here are the available wheel cylinders on CIP Canada:

http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?Se ... ch1=Search
http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?Se ... ch1=Search

I guess it's between the 58-64 and 65-77 models.

While these are identified by year, I'm never too sure which year is required... How do I identify what backing plate models (year) are installed on my car?

Thanks,
Jean
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Part number for front/rear wheel cylinders

Post by FV80 »

Jean,
Front
VWC-113-611-057-B - FRONT WHEEL CYLINDER - BEETLE 58-64 / GHIA 58-64

Rear
VWC-113-611-055-C - REAR WHEEL CYLINDER - BEETLE 58-64 / GHIA 58-64

Should be the correct ones - generally speaking, if you stay with PRE-'64 you should have the right parts for most things. We are now allowed to run backing plates from later models .. and we can also use rear brake drums for models up to '67 I think it is. Basically, if it LOOKS about the same, any backing plate will do. Drums - if they are 'wide 5' and fit the axle, I don't think you can go wrong :).

You could also order from any of the vendors at the top of the page and ALWAYS be sure you're getting the right part - but I do understand the issues with living in Canada (tho' I've never done it <G>).
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Thanks for the info, this is great!
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

For future reference, a lot of the part numbers are on the SR site:
http://www.sracing.com/Store/FV_Stuff/FV_Stuff.htm

Scroll down to the "Front Beam/Wheel/Suspension components section and you will find:
Brake Wheel Cylinder (Rear) 113-611-055 $13.25
Brake Wheel Cylinder (Front) 113-611-057 $14.50

Part numbers are also often accompanied by diiagrams such as this:
http://www.sracing.com/Store/FV_Stuff/REF4.jpg

Even if you are going to buy it locally, might want to check out these guys site. Never know, it still might make sense to order it from them. :-)
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Thanks for the heads up. I've already ordered from SRacing; from Canada it's more expensive to get things from them. Shipping and custom fees are quite high compared to getting the parts from inside Canada (even with a higher Loonie).
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

The Cip1 guys are sort of local to us in BC and help out with our annual FV race, they are good people :) If you need to call, Kris (I'm sure all the other guys are too, but I usually deal with him!) is very knowledgeable.

They deal a lot with the local FV crowd and will usually know what we run on the vees. Still, when I needed more specific advice, I gave Jim at SR a call and ordered the respective parts from him. SR is a little bit cheaper for most things, but shipping from Cip1 is obviously cheaper as well, so it evens out.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Just for future reference:

Shipping to Canada via USPS for 2 wheel cylinders is $7.95 US. For 4 it is $14.81US ( 11.95 if it fits into a flat rate box)

At 13.00 each for TRW brand, you can do the math.

As for the question on backing plates- only one style fits the front. The rears- there are later versions with 2 adjusting holes where the brakes are adjusted from the "inside" of the wheel as opposed to using one hole on the outside. There might be a question about legality on the 2 hole version- even though they fit.

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
brian

Post by brian »

Since the later model backing plates are for type one beetle, Ive always considered them legal. The later model backing plates have three surfaces for the shoes to ride on and that makes the shoes more stable than the single platform. The later backing plates are designed to work with the tapered adjusters and the shoes will be easier to adjust if you have the later backing plates.

I would not recommend using the larger front wheel cylinders on the rear. While a worthwhile upgrade for the street, the larger wheel cylinders make bias adjustments more difficult.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Dietmar wrote:...As for the question on backing plates- only one style fits the front. The rears- there are later versions with 2 adjusting holes where the brakes are adjusted from the "inside" of the wheel as opposed to using one hole on the outside. There might be a question about legality on the 2 hole version- even though they fit.

Dietmar
The Committee addressed that, I believe 2 years ago - possibly 3.
C.4. Brakes
A. Brake drums, backing plates, and wheel cylinders shall be standard
VW Sedan as defined herein, or an exact replica of the same material
and dimensionally identical. Ribbed type rear drums (VW Part
# N113-501 615 D or ICP Part # 113 501 615 D) may be used in
place of the 1200 series rear brake drums. Rear backing plates may
be from any Type 1 model year.

Steve, FV80
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Are they different brands available for these wheel cylinders? What's being sold on CIP?

I'm not sure I'm following you on this. If what CIP.ca provides is similar to what is available in the US, CIP is still the cheaper choice for me, with the website rebate (which we always get anyway) which puts these at $13.60 each.

I've ordered quite a bit from the US, using UPS, DHL, Purolator, USPS... On top of the shipping charges custom fees do apply past $40 or $60 - I don't exactly know as I have had to pay custom fees for items just over $40 but didn't pay for an item that was just under $60. This seems to be pretty random. I have never seen any custom (or brokerage fees) being less than $20.

Dietmar wrote:Just for future reference:

Shipping to Canada via USPS for 2 wheel cylinders is $7.95 US. For 4 it is $14.81US ( 11.95 if it fits into a flat rate box)

At 13.00 each for TRW brand, you can do the math.

As for the question on backing plates- only one style fits the front. The rears- there are later versions with 2 adjusting holes where the brakes are adjusted from the "inside" of the wheel as opposed to using one hole on the outside. There might be a question about legality on the 2 hole version- even though they fit.

Dietmar
Last edited by jstoezel on January 13th, 2011, 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Steve:
Since not everyone runs under the SCCA banner, the statement still stands: "...there might be a question about legality on the 2 hole version."

Brian:
It is my understanding that the wheel cylinder used with the 2 hole backing plate is a 17mm (not the 19mm found on pre 68's) with a different part number of 113 611 053 B as opposed to the 113 611 055 C (up to 1964) and 131 611 055 (65 to 67). The 55C and 55 seem to be identical, just a different number.

Dietmar
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Jean:
I can not speak for CIP and which brand they carry.
I personally carry both TRW and ATE ( German).

As for Customs, the cost varies. Companies that use a customs broker pay more to clear Customs, using the mail pay less. In addition, there is that GST and possibly even PST.
Not sure that the value of the item is the determining factor. At least that is what I have told.

Dietmar
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Dietmar wrote:Steve:
Since not everyone runs under the SCCA banner, the statement still stands: "...there might be a question about legality on the 2 hole version."
Huh? Is there something else out there besides SCCA ?? :lol:
Steve
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

As far as shipping as customs goes.. Typically the Canadian customs agency will charge HST (or whatever other taxes are applicable to your province!) on items above a certain amount. This however, depends greatly on who picks up the package and how good his morning has been so far. I've had to pay tax on items under $50, and I've had sets of tires or recently a data logger come in tax free.

This has very little to do with brokerage fees, though. Brokerage fees are applied by the carrier, and are a little less discretionary. Canada Post (which is where USPS packages end up being distributed..) charges about $5 on anything that does need to clear customs, if I remember right. UPS is the absolute worst - anything with a declared value of over $40 WILL go through customs and you WILL be charged big brokerage fees. UPS makes sure it goes through customs, as brokerage fees are most likely one of their biggest sources of revenue for US-Canada shipping. Actually, the way it works is slightly different than USPS and is, personally, sickening. After being dinged a couple times by UPS charging me ridiculous money to clear packages (for items just above the threshold value, you'll be paying nearly as much in brokerage fees as the item itself is worth) I decided to not let them clear a package to see what would happen. I refused delivery and offered to pick it up at the depot and clear it myself. I found out that packages weren't even going through customs - UPS gets them directly in their depot and faxes the paperwork to the Canadian customs. So I got to the depot, picked up the paperwork related to the package, drove a couple miles to the customs office and cleared it myself (the package was worth $50, the officer stamped the papers and sent me on my way.. free), drove back to UPS and picked the parcel up. UPS wanted $45 to do this for me.. 12% of the package value, plus 6% duty, plus a brokerage fee. For a package that a customs officer wouldn't have bothered looking at.

There are ways to avoid the UPS extortionate charges - open an account with them, or give them your credit card number BEFORE the package gets to Canada. I think then it'll work much in the same was as USPS. I get everything sent to my office now and haven't had trouble with UPS since then..

Sorry for the off topic rant, it is a pet peeve of mine :)
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Smaller government is the answer......

Just kidding.

Just get a group together and open a mail box just across the border. Ship everything there. :-)

again.....I kid, I kid.......
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

There are several companies that provide that service and I use it a lot! Sucks to have to cross the border to pick up small packages, but I use it all the time for bigger/heavier stuff. :)