Front beam bump stop removal

Greg Davis

Front beam bump stop removal

Post by Greg Davis »

I am thinking of eliminating the bump stops on the front beam of my D-13. Any downside to doing this?
fvracer27

Re: Front beam bump stop removal

Post by fvracer27 »

The rubber bumps or the horns?
Either does not make a difference as I'm aware of.
It was against the rules to cut the horns off but I believe that is a thing of the past.

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
FVartist

Post by FVartist »

It could cause some damage to the body and or tie rods if you do not have any droop limiter on the front end, either by a strap or internally in your shocks. It is dependent on the amount of travel of your tie rod and clearance in the body and frame. This could be by off track excursion or simply by lifting the car. I remember we use to put a block between the upper turkey leg and the horn to prevent such damage when raising the car. The savings in weight depends on whether your beam is original or not. The original has hollow horns and weigh about 1 lb. The others are solid and weighs about 2 lbs.

Bruce
Left Coast Formula Car Board
http://norcalfv.proboards.com/index.cgi?
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

FVArtist has it right. I run a vintage Zink and the front beam has the horns removed. The holes in the upright from the horns provided a nice place to run brake lines on this particular car. The downside is that FVArtist says, you do need to put blocks between the turkey legs and horn stub or other solid place to keep the droop that results from doing any damage. I didn't bend the tie rods the first time I raised the front but put some pretty good cracks in the body panels before I learned to put blocks in.
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

I appreciate the input one and all. I'll weigh the advantages/disadvantages and decide. Thanks again.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Don't forget the potential safety benefits if you remove them. Make sure you don't break your fingers when you try and lift up your car with your hands on the upper torsion arms. 8)
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
remmers

Post by remmers »

i'm of the belief the horn removal is more for aero than for weight savings, and with a D13, i see no reason to bother putting the effort into removing them unless you are that 2-4lbs overweight or have narrowed the chassis/body significantly... the horns do not limit suspension compression, as the car will likely bottom out before you hit the horns with the turkey legs, droop concerns have all been stated already