drum not parallel to back plate

igino

drum not parallel to back plate

Post by igino »

Hey guys - searched the web all over for this, and unfortunately I think it might be me being incapable, rather than a *common* problem. I replaced the wheel bearings on all four corners of my vee. Now the drums don't sit flat on the back plate on three of the four corners To explain this better, there is more of the side of the back plate showing on one side of the drum than the other. The drum still rotates fine, and it doesn't wobble. I checked all over to make sure the bearings are packing in there as tight as possible (i'm 90 percent sure they are), and now i'm wondering if maybe these back plates are all bent.....seems unlikely....

Any thoughts? Hope I wrote a good description, but if not please let me know and I will clarify.
hardingfv32-1

Re: drum not parallel to back plate

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Of coarse it is not unusual to have a bent backing plate, but three would be odd. Of coarse there is nothing to bending them back.

You can't get the rear on cocked. In the front if you are getting the retaining nut on enough with a number of threads showing on the end or an easy installation of a cotter pin, then the front bearings are correct. Bent backing plates seem like the only explanation. Are any of the drums new and/or have odd machining on the surface that you are comparing to?

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

Did you change the races when you replaced the bearings? They come in pairs and need to kept together. If you did change the races make sure they are seated properly in the drums.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

I vote for either a bent backing plate or spindle (in the front).
igino

Post by igino »

thanks for the reply guys. I did change the bearing races, and they are in there nice and good - hopefully...

I went ahead and ordered a new backing for the right front wheel, which seems to be the worst. Bit cheaper than then spindle. I'll keep you guys posted next week to see what happened. If it doesn't fix it, i'll probably buy a new spindle.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Straightening backing plates is part of racing a FV. You'll learn just how hard to smack them to straighten them. You usually need to have the drum off to do it .... then need to put it on to check .... take it off to smack ... etc . If you crash into something hard enough to fold it up ... you will likely end up throwing away 8)
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"