oil pressure relief valve

shirleymac

oil pressure relief valve

Post by shirleymac »

I want to check the condition of the oil pressure relief valve and want to know what is the best way to remove the screw from the engine block? Is there a special tool or do I just need to get a really big screw driver?
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: oil pressure relief valve

Post by Dietmar »

Try a cold chisel or punch on the corner of the slot. Should open.
Plunger ( relief valve) should fall out along with the spring and some oil.
Use a new gasket when installing.

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

OR.. you can fashion a perfect flat blade out of 1 X 1/8" flat stock. Then use a crescent wrench to twist your blade.

Weld or braze a nut on the end of the threaded plug to make it easy to remove next time.

Brian
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

A word of caution using teh chisel method on the screw. Depending on how tight it is, you may end up with a dimple on the sealing washer surface. It will not seal well when that happens, so be aware. I'd recommend machining or replacement if that happens, AND as Brian suggests, weld or braze a 13 mm nut on the bottom and removal will be very easy. BTW: you can buy aftermarket plugs with a recessed hex and they aren't that expensive.

-Jim
John Deonarine

Re: Oil pressure Relief Removal

Post by John Deonarine »

Craftsman (#009-34299), Drive Drag Link Socket Set, this is a set, or try to locate a single socket. Works great.

John
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

I have used all those techniques. An additional and very effective way is to use an impact driver or impact screwdriver. Not sure of the proper name but you hit this spring-loaded screwdriver with a hammer. Usually works first hit with no damage to anything. I expect the recommended socket would work on the impact driver for the perfect solution.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
shirleymac

Post by shirleymac »

I got the valve out with a cold chisel and hammer. It took a couple of hits to get it turning but came out pretty easy. I'm going to replace them with the allen head screw I saw on CB Performance's website.
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

I have had a Craftsman pc. that fits a 1/2" ratchet or extension and works perfectly. Got it about 40 yrs. ago, and don't have a part # for it.....sorry. If need be, I fit it on one of the old "slam hammer" style impact tools to break the screw loose. I agree on not liking the chisel....got a drawer full of ruined screws.
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

The stock spring may be too weak for many Vee engines. They're designed to bypass the oil cooler if the oil pressure is too high.
brian

Post by brian »

If you do decide to put a stronger spring in either of the pressure valves, be very careful with the RPM on a cold morning session. A vee engine can push over 80 psi when cold at high rpm and blow a cooler or filter seal very quickly. I wait until I get some temp before running the engine all the way up.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Hal

Post by Hal »

My "special" tool for this is a very large washer that will fit tite in the groove, with a small vise grips clamped to it at a right angle, might have to grind the washer some for fit. Works great.

Hal
D-13 88
Citation 88