Engine fresh up questions

Don

Engine fresh up questions

Post by Don »

Guys:

I am freshening my engine for next season (not really rebuilding, just new bearings & rings). I have 2 questions:

What is the general concensus on using (or not using) paper gaskets between the barrels and case?

Because I am using Dykes rings I have new top compressions rings left over from previous rebuilds, Is it a ok
(or not) to use a top ring for a second ring (saves buying another set of rings)?

thanks don
billinstuart

Re: Engine fresh up questions

Post by billinstuart »

We never changed the oil rings, and only changed the bearings if they looked bad.

We did move the old top dykes to the second groove. We also tried turning it upside down, and leaving it out completely. bottom line..the second ring provided oil control and drag.

Leave the paper gasket off.

disassemble the heads and clean the valves!

Our favorite story..first race of the season. Guy BEHIND us said "I just paid $3000 to have my engine freshened at...." We said.."We've got $195 bucks in ours. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Don,
If your engine had paper gaskets in it when torn down (or even if it didn't), be sure to measure the deck height before reassembling without the gaskets. Builders might use paper, shims or other means to left the cylinders by small amounts to set the deck height. If you get short on deck height, you might end up with the piston slapping the head at high RPM- a sure recipe for disaster. Also, be sure to inspect the valve keepers and retainers. The steel retainers tend to grow a bit with the high RPM's that we run and the keepers will get sloppy in the retainers - eventually the keepers might slip through the retainer, dropping a valve onto the piston, ANOTHER recipe for disaster :cry: .

Judging from your questions, I'd guess that you don't have any experience building FV motors. My RECOMMENDATION is to *SEND/TAKE it to a KNOWN BUILDER* and pay the money to have it rebuilt. If there's nothing "wrong" with it, it'll set you back around $1200-1500 or so. That will be MONEY WELL SPENT - trust me. If done correctly, your rebuilt engine should last you about 10 race weekends - possibly more. If there is even the TINIEST thing wrong with the reassembly (and there are a LOT of tricks to proper reassembly), your engine could be trash in 3 laps. A good builder will also catch many things that you would likely miss that could lead to catastrophic failure. They know what to look for .. you probably don't.

Good luck,
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

I would second everything Steve said and add that when you figure in the cost of a race weekend spending a few more bucks on the engine will pay for itself. If you insist on doing your own motor, pm me and I'll pass on some pointers.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Check PM

Brian