Av gas

bobc

Av gas

Post by bobc »

I just got back from an airport where I have been buying my gas for years to be told that he can't sell it to anyone but a registared aircraft. It seems that the EPA has entered the picture because of the lead. The airport owner stated that EPA was showing up unannouced at auto track meets and checking the fuel used with serious fines for leaded gas. I plan to write my Congressman and Senator and seriously complain about this. Millions of gallions of oil in the Gulf and they are worried about weekend racers. This is a goverment agency out of control.
Matt King

Re: Av gas

Post by Matt King »

I don't think the lead is the issue, since almost every race track in the country that sells fuel sells leaded race fuel. But I do think there are restrictions on AV gas for non-aircraft use that are related to taxes and other issues. I've been buying AV gas at a local airport that has a self-service pump and never had a problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if that comes to an end someday.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

It has long been illegal to sell avgas for non-aviation purposes. Mostly, that was for tax reasons. I really doubt that the EPA has gone to races or track events and tested gasoline. First, leaded gasoline is not illegal for racing. Yet. Second, they can't just seize samples. They need a search warrant and I can't imagine any judge giving them one.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

It's a liability for the company selling the av fuel to put it in cans because they could be contaminated and could cause a aircraft to crash if it's put in a aircraft, that's why most companies will not sell unless they have reg numbers of a plane showing that it went from the fuel truck to the aircraft. The company would be responsible if a aircraft crash and it was cause by the fuel so they do not want any chances that it can get contaminated. The place I get it from notes on the slip that they put fuel in a can and are not responsible for what it goes in. They told me it is not illegal for them to sell it to me or anyone they just need to note it that is did not go in a aircraft directly. I dont think EPA would ever go to a race track and test fuel. Leaded full is not illegal and there are plenty of places to get leaded fuel.
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
shark32

Post by shark32 »

I buy my avgas at the regional airport. I use the self-service and pay by credit card. The operator told me to put in a tail number so I make one up. He's even helped me when the pumping system acted up. Never had anyone question me.

Barry
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Lots of small airports are fighting for survival and will be delighted to sell you avgas and take your money. Find one!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
fv195

Post by fv195 »

the airport closest to my house is very happy to sell me av gas. here in fl. they list it as "air"boat? they don't do self service, they pump it from the truck into my cans, and help me carry them to the car.
THOR
brian

Post by brian »

its a road tax issue. all fuels inlcude road taxes except for off road activities like ag and mining and oh yea racing and aviation. The tax issue is moot since our racing is off road.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

I've been through the same song and dance. If they don't want to sell it to you, 'It's illegal.' or 'It's a tax thing.' or 'The gummit will get me.'

I use only the places now that have the drive-up pumps that take credit cards. Most have a place you can get to off the flight line and it's not too far to carry a 5 gal can. One place, the FBO told me to drive my truck over to the pump on the flight line so I wouldn't have to carry it, but I try to avoid the ones that are out on the flight line. According to my tax attorney, there is nothing illegal about using it for recreational purposes, same as doing a few touch-n-gos with a tail dragger.
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

The small airports are much easier to work with. O'Hare could be a problem. :roll: