Velocity stack screen

Greg Davis

Velocity stack screen

Post by Greg Davis »

I am looking for a screen for my carb's velo stack (3 1/2" O.D.). Can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks. Greg D.
fv195

Re: Velocity stack screen

Post by fv195 »

the way my engine cover is, I screened in the front of the engine cover, works great
THOR
brian

Post by brian »

Depends on your area. If you race where there is dust only a proper filter will save your engine. We used to use panty hose. When I was still dating i had torn ones donated. :P
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

Thanks for the input Brian and Thor. Greg
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

A couple of thoughts:
I know that in the past many race cars used screen on their stacks. Many of the CanAm cars topped off their Weber or injection stacks with them, BUT if you have a chance, try that setup on a flow-bench, and I think you will be surprised. The screen wire takes up approx. 10% of the area, and it drops the flow numbers. You can minimize this loss somewhat by forming a dome with the screen, increasing the area, but it still hurts. Besides that, you will only stop chunks, birds, etc. My feeling is that if it is possible, fit even a small K&N filter. Besides doing a superb job of filtering, they can be absolutely filthy, and the only difference is that they filter even better than brand new, w/o decreasing the flow.
Mike