Hans Device

fastvee

Hans Device

Post by fastvee »

Are vee drivers using them? Which model, 20 or 30 degree? Are sliding tethers necessary? Anything else I should know about them?
Thanks,
John
Fogelsville, PA
racing stuff

Re: Hans Device

Post by racing stuff »

I have found that everyone likes the sliding tethers over the fixed.
HANS angle (20 or 30) depends on your seating angle. Have someone measure you, while you're seated in the car (upper chest where HANS would sit). The number you are looking for, is the angle back from vertical. Next, neck size (dress shirt color size will do).
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
http://www.racing-stuff.com
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

You'll also need at least 1.5 inches of clearance between your helmet and the head rest.
Terry Abbott

Post by Terry Abbott »

Both my sons wear the 30 Model , No issue's at all
We havent YET installed the sliding tether's
Terry Abbott
2- Vector FV's
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Another thing that most older cars fall short of ... your shoulder strap mounts "SHOULD" be about 3 inches apart - maybe 5" at the most. If yours are further apart than that, modification of the belt mounts is in your future as you will not be able to keep the belts from sliding off the outside of the HANS. For a vee, most would use the 30 degree. An Adams or BRD might take a 20 (it affects the clearance required behind the helmet more than anything else). A Caracal D might be better with a 40, but they don't make those anymore... For driving around the paddock, sliding tethers are a MUST and well worth the $75. In 95% of the cases, you won't notice the difference on the track.
Steve, FV80
Been using one since 1991
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Steve is correct. All of the units we have sold to Vee drivers were the 30 deg unit. Except to a couple Adams Aero's and I think a BRD. Sliding tethers are really a no brainer for the price. You need them in a closed wheel car (turning your head more for mirror etc. visibilty). You would be fine in a Vee with non-sliders, but Steve makes a good point. In the paddock you want more side to side visibilty.

Also keep in mind to error on the high side with angle fitment. You can use a 30 deg unit in a car that is considered a 20 deg one. You simply place some padding under the front wings. You cannot however do the inverse. So get a 30 and you can use it for most anything except an upright sprint car seat. <g> Also if you a big chested a 30 deg units is better. Call us if you have questions.

Steve is also correct on the belts. You might also consider SFI or FIA 2" belts next time around. They fit the HANS shoulders better and sliding off is never an issue. Standard belts work fine but closer placement is usually required.

BTW, while we are Factory trained HANS dealers, you can buy from others on here also....BUT GET ONE! The evidence is overwhelming. I am sure several injuries and at least one death this year would have been prevented with HANS use. Don't end your racing in a wheel chair or worse. $700 is a set of tires and the HANS lasts forever. (Well, at least until the SCCA decides they get destroyed by ultraviolet rays from sitting in the sun so much. <g>

Jim
fastvee

Post by fastvee »

All great advice. Thanks again.
John
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

I use a 30M with sliding tethers in my Citation. Used a 20M with fixed sliders for years in my Mustangs, and really the only time that the fixed tethers were an issue was pre- and post-race driving through the paddock and grid when you are trying to back up and watch out for cars and people coming at you from all directions. On track, the fixed tethers were never an issue with the mirrors. With an open car it's even less of an issue and I rarely turn my head enough that the sliders even come into play, other than driving through the paddock.

In a Vee, contact between the lower chin spoiler of the helmet and the Hans can be an issue with makingit hard to get your head down enough to see the gauges depending on gauge placement and seating position. My next helmet won;t have a lower spoiler as the one I have now extends just far enough to be annoying with the Hans.
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

I use a 30 degree HANS and it works for both a Caracal D and a Speedsport (expect Citation to be similar). The Caracal seat angle measures more than 40 degrees, but you do really need to measure the angle of your chest like others said. A big factor in what angle works best comes down to how the HANS sits on your chest - like others said. Matt is right that a helmet that goes down low in front is more of a problem than a benefit with the HANS. My next helmet won't have that. I can catch the gauges, but clicking in the shoulder straps can be difficult if you need to see them. The shoulder straps at the mount points in back do need to be close as the instructions say, and the HANS friendly thin straps are an improvement for helping them stay in place. I don't have the sliding tethers, so I really can't compare them to the sliders. But, I never had a problem being able to move my head around as much as I wanted - even in the paddock. I find it really hard to part with the money for the sliding tethers because I don't seem to have a problem. Also, the HANS gel pads are great, but we made our own for about $10 - the going price is about $70-80 from HANS. I had a really hard hit into the wall last year and my head wanted to go in the direction of about 45 degrees to the side during the impact. I felt the HANS catch my head with one tether. This is why I probably won't go with the sliding tether. I have to think about it more, but I was happy that my head wasn't able to turn too much and I think with the sliding tether that it may have allowed my head to move further over the side before stopping it. That's an uneducated guess. I'd have to experiment to be more sure. I remember before I hit thinking that this was going to be really bad, and then when I felt the strap catch, and then it was all over and I was fine, it was quite a relief! The car didn't fare so well!

After having a neck injury from a motorcycle incident that overextended my neck in a way that the HANS (or other such device) limits, and living with that pain for what seems like forever when I was about 25 (I thought it was permanent), I won't drive without one. I never want to go back there again!

One last comment. At first is seems like it simply won't work in your car even when you have it in your hands. I thought that with both of my cars. But, I was amazed at what little changes I made to have it all work out well. In the Caracal, I just added about 1/2-3/4" stiff foam behind me and it had everything sitting as per the directions and spaced perfectly. I never would have guessed. It may not work out for all cars, but don't give up trying too easily.

Sorry for the long post - I hope it is helpful. John
FV90

Post by FV90 »

I have tried on a HANS 30M and a Defnder so far to try and figure out what is best fit for me into my Caracal C. After trying both on I see that it may be a problem using either trying to get strapped in by myself. Has anyone tried the Safety Solutions devices like R3 or Hybrid since they seem to strap in more towards the back?
brian

Post by brian »

I have the same problem as Matt with the chin of my helmet hitting the HANS and lifting my line of sight. My sitting position is quite reclined and even if I get a shorter helmet, the chin issue will continue to be a problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking of getting a used Hutchenson device just to quiet tech.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

I heard some of the safety solutions devices solve that problem, as they work in a pretty much entire different way. Some people swear by them!
fv195

Post by fv195 »

I have the sliding tethers, used one with out before buying my own. on track no differance, but in the pits, you try and look down a side road and twist your helmet on your head. I got the 2" shoulders in my car and they are mounted very close, but still fall off the hans???????????????????
THOR
FV90

Post by FV90 »

Unless I am looking in the wrong place but I have not seen the Hutchenson Device with an SFI 38.1 tag.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

fv195 wrote:I have the sliding tethers, used one with out before buying my own. on track no differance, but in the pits, you try and look down a side road and twist your helmet on your head. I got the 2" shoulders in my car and they are mounted very close, but still fall off the hans???????????????????
THOR
The 2" shoulders were "invented" *BEFORE* HANS decided to narrow up the chest 'beams'. Now, you really need the 3" shoulders (with really narrow mounts) to have any hope of keeping the belts over the HANS. I really don't have any trouble, but I DO have 3" shoulders and narrow mounts and I *DO* have to pay close attention when tightening the shoulders to make sure that the belts are where they need to be to stay there. Sliding tethers are a "must have" IMHO (for pit/paddock use).

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

I checked and the Hutchenson device is NOT approved by SFI. The tech at HANS said to try removing the padding and try again.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

I meant to look at the more modern Safety Solutions devices, the Hybrid or the R3.. http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/

I believe one or both of them have recently been sort of pre-approved for FIA certification, as they were both already SFI approved.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mike was fitted several years ago by Dr.Hubbard. He has a Vortec and was sold a 40Hans. Here is a interesting pdf.
http://www.fiainstitute.com/publication ... _Guide.pdf

Dave