braided brake lines

igino

braided brake lines

Post by igino »

Hi all,

I'm redoing the brakes on my vee. Does anyone run only braided brake lines (no hardline)? It Seems like it would be less of a pain in the neck, but it might feel a bit spongy in the brakes.

Tips? Experience?

Thanks!!!

-Igino
problemchild

Re: braided brake lines

Post by problemchild »

I have done it .... and could not notice the difference. You are really only talking about the clutch (low pressure) and rear brakes (which don't do much anyway). I guess you need to figure out whether you want to spend $100 instead of $12.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Edward Schubert

Post by Edward Schubert »

I have used braided SS lines only for many years on various race cars including stock cars, sprint cars and midgets without any issues. I also know of several Busch Cars (Nationwide Series) which ran these also.

As I close in on finishing my V I plan on doing the same.
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

problemchild wrote:I guess you need to figure out whether you want to spend $100 instead of $12.
That's the best reason right there to run hard lines for the long runs and short flex lines at the calipers. Another reason to keep the flex lines short and in the common 12-18 inch range is when you have a problem at the track and need to replace one. Good luck finding a 36-inch braided line on a Saturday afternoon! Been there, done that. Good practice is to set your lines up so one or two common sizes fit all four corners. Then you can carry one or two spares that fit anywhere. It's also a good idea to have a few feet of bulk flex and hardline with the appropriate fittings to make repairs.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

The days of making your own lines is long gone. The stock car shops sell pre-made lines that are dirt cheap. As Matt says, try and use common lengths and buy some spares. I think you will have other bigger problems if you need the long clutch and rear brake lines at the track.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
igino

Post by igino »

Hey guys - as always, thanks so much for the pointers!
racing stuff

Post by racing stuff »

Making braided brake/clutch lines yourself, is (and always has been) such an easy job, I don't know why anyone would buy them in fixed lengths. With one piece of line, the length of the longest used, 2 olives (the brass part under the nut), a couple of wrenches and a good cutting tool, you can fix any line at the track.
Also, you can chose from a wide assortment of available hose ends, something the pre-assembled lines don't offer.
In the overall scope of racing costs, these hoses don't add up to much and rarely need replacement. Unless you crash a lot, in which case, you've got other more expensive issues.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
igino

Post by igino »

Quick follow up question:

What AN size is the brake line? Also, what connectors do I need to attach to the brakes?

Sorry for the nitpicking! Thanks for the pointers!

-Igino
brian

Post by brian »

You'll need metric to AN adapters, LRE or the suplliers listed here can help., You can use either -3 or-4.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Edward Schubert

Post by Edward Schubert »

If you are using all braided lines (no hard lines) I would suggest using #3. You will have a firmer pedal.
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Use #3 lines. We have all the adapters, fittings and lines that you need. We have many of the lines pre-made so there is no assembly required.

Jim