Needle Bearing Front Beam Spacers

problemchild

Re: Needle Bearing Front Beam Spacers

Post by problemchild »

Unfortunately, they are! Or just parking their cars and not racing!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

I rarely am called naive or lacking competiveness .... but the people that I know in FV seem more interested in reducing costs than going faster (as a whole).
Perhaps there is not a place for those people in FV anymore. I thought people that wanted faster cars moved to FF.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

....And most of the people I know in FV are interested in being competitive with cost a secondary issue.

How is the spec tire project going?

Brian
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

About the same as your manifold business :shock:

Brian, As always, thanks for your contribution to FV.

Go ahead ... have the last word.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
brian

Post by brian »

Dang! I really didn't want to throw any gas on this. Went back to an old post and found the quote and realized that I had left the impression that I use needles on the link pins. I do not, the Torringtons I mentioned were for the sway bar spacers, which I believe are free.

That said, When I look at a mechanical issue of debate, I always ask myself, is this really relevant? If someone wants to use gold watchamacallits, and they simply don't do anything, I really don't care. A lot of racing folklore is pure black magic BS.

I spend exactly what it takes to win, no more.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Greg,

Without looking for the price of the bearings for the link pins I can only guess that since they are smaller than the ones for the sway bar spacer they are most likely cheaper as well. so $50 for bearings is probably way to much. You only need 4 of them and at probably $1-$1.50 each is not much. With the offset bushings you might want to machine the surface parrellel to the link pin and I know some do but if you place the bearings between the spacers I think they should work fine and allow you to have the link pins adjusted tighter than normal. I have always backed mine off just a bit after snugging them up so there is no chance of them binding.

But like Brian M said I don't think it is a big enough deal and I haven't gone that direction yet. This is one of those things that people will fixate upon and not realize requardless of what approach you take you still have to drive the damn car fast and other than a good motor, tires and a good alingment a lot of other things a mostly personal preferences.

Ed
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

While it is true you still have to drive the damm car fast, there is nothing wrong with a thread on a specific subject. There are somethings to be learned if the subject is kept narrow and focused.

I bought British Petroleum shortly after the disaster at the bottom, so there is no need for the manifold business anymore. At this point, I'm funded for next season.

Brian
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

Ed Womer wrote:
Without looking for the price of the bearings for the link pins I can only guess that since they are smaller than the ones for the sway bar spacer they are most likely cheaper as well. so $50 for bearings is probably way to much. You only need 4 of them and at probably $1-$1.50 each is not much.

Ed
Ed, you are just about right for the prices based on my sources for them and the sway bar ones aren't much more.