Gutting a VW transmission

Martinracing98

Gutting a VW transmission

Post by Martinracing98 »

I am trying to gut a junkyard transmission so I can use it for a place holder on some mockup work. It is a IRS transmission. I have
*Pulled the rear cover and removed.
*Removed snap rings from rear of shafts
*Removed the screws that hold on rear main case section
*Removed side plates
*Removed ring gear
*Separated input shaft inside ring gear opening

The next step in Long on line tutorial http://www.longenterprises.com/Rebuilde ... ndex.htm#. is remove four bolts holding in pinion and push out pinion.

I do not look like I have four bolts.
I can not get pinion to move.
I can get rear section to separate by about about 3/4"

What do I do next. How do I get the rear main section(gear carrier) removed?
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Gutting a VW transmission

Post by Dietmar »

#12 in your "rebuild course" shows the location of the 4 pinion retainer bolts. Should be 15mm and if original will have locking tabs. Bolts need to be removed before the pinion can be "pushed" out.

Hope this helps.
Dietmar
Martinracing98

Post by Martinracing98 »

Dietmar wrote:#12 in your "rebuild course" shows the location of the 4 pinion retainer bolts. Should be 15mm and if original will have locking tabs. Bolts need to be removed before the pinion can be "pushed" out.

Hope this helps.
Dietmar
Any chance they do not all have those bolts? I sure did not see them.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

You got me on this one. Sorry!

Have never seen a trans without the pinion retainer bolts.

Are you able to post a picture, or send me one directly of the area around the pinion?

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
fvraceri@cox.net
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Dietmar is talking about step #12 from the above tutorial.

Brian
Martinracing98

Post by Martinracing98 »

Dietmar wrote:You got me on this one. Sorry!

Have never seen a trans without the pinion retainer bolts.

Are you able to post a picture, or send me one directly of the area around the pinion?

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
fvraceri@cox.net
Maybe I have been blind. I will look again and send a picture if I do not see the bolts.

Thanks
Todd
brian

Post by brian »

You may have a late bus irs which uses a large dia. nut that requires a special socket . A drift punch might work if you do not plan to reuse. If this is a late model bus it may not be valid for vee frame fab jig.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Martinracing98

Post by Martinracing98 »

brian wrote:You may have a late bus irs which uses a large dia. nut that requires a special socket . A drift punch might work if you do not plan to reuse. If this is a late model bus it may not be valid for vee frame fab jig.
This did not look like a bus to me. Side by side a type 2 versus type 1 looks significantly different if I remember correctly.
brp

Post by brp »

MartinRacing,
Your initial post and question indicated that you have an IRS transaxle that you want to use for a mockup.

The IRS transaxles for the beetle from about 1972 (or so) use a large (about 4 inch) thin round nut to hold the pinion bearing in place in the trans case. This does not have the 4 bolts to hold the pinion bearing in place.

There is a special tool to remove this large thin round nut. However, as indicated in an earlier post referencing a bus transaxle, you can usually undo the thin round nut using a hammer and a steel punch. Doing so will likely ruin the large thin round nut, but you probably don't care about using it again. It uses a right hand thread, so just use the punch to turn it loose. You will likely need to keep hitting it and turn it several turns this way because there is an area that is usually peened after installation and the torque is set.

The trans case should be usable for mock up purposes.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Martinracing98

Post by Martinracing98 »

brp wrote:MartinRacing,
Your initial post and question indicated that you have an IRS transaxle that you want to use for a mockup.

The IRS transaxles for the beetle from about 1972 (or so) use a large (about 4 inch) thin round nut to hold the pinion bearing in place in the trans case. This does not have the 4 bolts to hold the pinion bearing in place.

There is a special tool to remove this large thin round nut. However, as indicated in an earlier post referencing a bus transaxle, you can usually undo the thin round nut using a hammer and a steel punch. Doing so will likely ruin the large thin round nut, but you probably don't care about using it again. It uses a right hand thread, so just use the punch to turn it loose. You will likely need to keep hitting it and turn it several turns this way because there is an area that is usually peened after installation and the torque is set.

The trans case should be usable for mock up purposes.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Thanks. On closer look, that is what I think I have. Here are pictures.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
brian

Post by brian »

here you go, that's the intermediate bus tranny and will be ok for a fixture. There's a later model that's completely different.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.