Fuel Usage at the RunOffs

rphillips

Fuel Usage at the RunOffs

Post by rphillips »

For those that ran the RunOffs last year, do you know how many gallons of fuel you burned? I have a 3.5 gallon fuel cell and I'm wondering if it is big enough.

Thanks,

Ray
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Usage at the RunOffs

Post by FV80 »

Ray,
I don't remember for certain, but if I were you, I'd figure out how to add another 1/2 gal or so. I'll try to remember to ck my racing logbook to see what I had left ... however, I never note how much I put IN. I have a 5 gal cell and generally put in about 3.5 for the average race. I'm pretty sure I put in a little more for the Runoffs race.

Imagine how you'd feel .. you've gotten a tremendous start and pulled out a substantial lead on the field. Coming out of T14 onto the front straight for the last time ... the pack is not far back... you've got it NAILED TO THE FLOOR ... then ... 1/2 way up the hill the engine sputters, then coughs again, then dies momentarily as the field streams past - it catches again and you are relieved... to cross the line under power ... in 18th spot. And you have to be flat towed back to your paddock spot.... MAN - I can't even THINK about that without getting really nauseated. I might have to take my HANS off, and ask the tow truck to tow me into the concrete wall at full tilt!

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

My tank held about 3.7 and in 2008 at the Sprints, I ran out of gas on the cool off lap and had to be flat towed to the podium. I am awaiting a new $1250 4 gal fuel cell.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

Steve and Brian,

Thanks for the input -- unfortunately that is what I thought. And Steve, you are absolutely right -- it would really suck to be doing good and then to run out of gas at the end of the race. I tried to fit a 4 gal cell from my old Caracal today and it doesn't fit so I'm looking for other options. I really don't want to spend $1,250 for a new fuel cell for what might end up being one race for me because I don't think I will have the budget to go to the RunOffs next year.

Does anyone know of or have a 4 gallon fuel cell that I can rent that will fit in a Protoform P3? Any other suggestions?

Ray
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

Ray,

3.5 might be enough, but it would be cutting it close. My guess is that it would depend a bit on how rich you run you engine and how well your fuel picks up as you run low.

I just looked through my notes from lots of sessions at RA. My per lap usage varies from under .2 gal/lap in a couple races to about .24 gal/lap. Figuring in a pace and cool-off lap, you need enough for 15 laps and a .22 per lap that's 3.3 gallons. At .24 gal per lap you need 3.6 gallons.

Am I correct that you run a Protoform? Assuming larger cells are available for Protoforms, maybe there is a Protoform owner who would loan you their larger cell for the runoffs.

Good Luck
Bruce
cendiv37
brian

Post by brian »

I have thought about a surge tank to supplement the capacity of the cell but am not sure how tech would view it. An aluminum container on the firewall could hold as much as a gallon. My cell sprung a leak so it was time to get another and was more expensive since it is a custom design.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

A "surge" tank is a good idea. If you do not have an annual, just add it after the car is teched. Or better yet, just add it for the race, as you have enough capacity for qualifying. I assume you will not be going through tech at the end of the race.

Brian
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

I am going to look at getting a .5 gallon surge tank from ATL or Fuel Safe. Hopefully they don't want to charge $1k for that!

Ray
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Ray,

Like Stevan I don't remember about how much fuel I had left, (I was so pissed about the start) and I probably started with 4-4 1/2 gallons since I have a 5 gallon cell. 2 1/2 gallons is a normal national so if you can get all of the 3 1/2 gallons out of your cell you should be OK. You can always do the pace lap in a higher gear to keep the rev's down and lower consumption.

If you are considering a replacement cell call Steve Limbert since he is a ATL dealer and gives good prices to us racers. His website is aircooled racing.

I wonder if an aluminum tank in the engine compartment is legal since it isn't in the drivers compartment?

Ed
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

Hi Ed,

I just looked at the rules and it doesn't say that a fuel cell can't be mounted in the engine compartment but I'm not planning on doing that anyway. It looks like I can fit a 2.75" X 3.5" X 12" cell next to my current cell which should give me just about .5 gallons. Of course it has to have the foam in it and it has to be enclosed in a metal casing. I will try to contact Steve Limbert and see what he says.

Thanks,

Ray
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

So did the mini fuel cell come with a mini price? Not....

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

I considered an aluminum over flow tank mounted on the firewall. They hold a bit over a qt. and if mounted under the opening in the main cell, will flow into the same line going to the motor from the cell.
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:So did the mini fuel cell come with a mini price? Not....

Brian
Well, yes and no. I can get it for $500 to $600 which is probably somewhere around half the price of a 4 gallon custom cell. Not a good "value" but saving it is still a significant savings and is an option.

However, I like Brian McArthy's idea and will see what I can come up with.

Ray
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Ray:

Check your messages.

Dietmar