How to get homebuilt frame thru tech?

1969zeitler

How to get homebuilt frame thru tech?

Post by 1969zeitler »

I got an extra frame with a Zink I bought and have had no luck identifying who made it. The car was raced in the SE at some time but without a rollbar stamp, there is no way to identify it. It looks like the rollbar was updated and was never restamped. The frame is a modern design (versus a 30 year old Vintage frame) with zero-roll and rear-mounted trailing arms. If I want to run this car in FV, but have no proof who built it, what do I have to do? Does it go thru Homologation? Exactly what is that? What manufacturers name goes in the log book if you don't know who built it?

Thanks
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
Dave Gomberg

Re: How to get homebuilt frame thru tech?

Post by Dave Gomberg »

1969zeitler wrote:I got an extra frame with a Zink I bought and have had no luck identifying who made it. The car was raced in the SE at some time but without a rollbar stamp, there is no way to identify it. It looks like the rollbar was updated and was never restamped. The frame is a modern design (versus a 30 year old Vintage frame) with zero-roll and rear-mounted trailing arms. If I want to run this car in FV, but have no proof who built it, what do I have to do? Does it go thru Homologation? Exactly what is that? What manufacturers name goes in the log book if you don't know who built it?

Thanks
Without any information, you will have to re-homologate it. Go to http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=92 and scroll down the page to the "FV Homologation Request", click on it to download the form. You can put "unknown" for the manufacturer, model, chassis number, etc. Put an explanation in the space on the last page. You do need to check off all the GCR sections and provide all the dimensions that are requested. Or, you can become the manufacturer and call it a Zeitler Zoombat Z1 - get your name in "lights".

Dave
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the great info and much needed laugh!!

Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

Find a wrecked Vee, copy the rollbar number...or has SCCA caught on to this?
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I don't think I have ever seen a wrecked FV or sale. It may be a liability issue. If this has been done in the past, and they got caught, I am sure the tech folks look for it. Sort of like switching vin numbers on a wrecked and stolen car.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

problemchild

Post by problemchild »

That was the kind of comment that should have been offered privately.

Aside from the lying fraudulent part ..... it costs much more to get replacement homologation papers than initial homologation papers.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I saw that on the website. Why is that? I found out about the frame today from the previous owner. He has a ton of paperwork for the car and will give it to me when he gets home from Alaska. The car started out as a Protoform but he modified it a lot to fit him.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

Rollbars have been cutoff wrecked Vees for decades. As for the homologation from SCCA..having seen what the allowed when F440 first started, frame construction is at the bottom of SCCA's list of concerns.

I see no safety issue with it. There's plenty of 100% legal Vees that scare me to look at them. Do I care what SCCA thinks? Uh..NO!
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Luckily, I found out who owned the car and they have the paperwork and logbook for it so I can get the roll bar re-stamped. I just have to figure out what I want to do with it.

FV
FST
FS
SOLO
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

brian

Post by brian »

SCCA claims it cost more because it takes time to research the old paperwork. I'm hard pressed to agree, but that's what they said.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.