push rod tube replacement

clutch

push rod tube replacement

Post by clutch »

I have a bent pushrod tube that I would like to replace. Is the replacement with the original part that difficult or should I try the two piece version like SR sells? If I were to try and replace it with the one piece style are there pitfalls? Are there any "tricky parts" to pulling the head and replacing it?

Thanks
jpetillo

Re: push rod tube replacement

Post by jpetillo »

How badly bent is it? I had a few bent tubes earlier this year and I pulled the push rod out, and kept slipping in larger and larger objects like copper pipes and socket extensions and slowly massaged it back almost round. John
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: push rod tube replacement

Post by Dietmar »

As an answer to your question- it is not difficult to replace a tube provided you have:

a new tube if it is badly bent ( you might check the pushrod on a flat surface to see that it is still straight, new gaskets (suggest for all the tubes), suggest that you stretch all the tubes a bit by inserting an extension into the ends and gently prying to extend the accordion ends, access to the pushrods under the head, and a torque wrench and the sequence to tighten the nuts.

You might tilt the engine ( car) as most of the time oil will run out of the holes, and you want the holes dry when reinstalling the tubes. VW also always suggested the seam on the tubes go up, but I have never seen a leak on the seams.

If any of this raises a question, give me a call. Or, simply replace it with a 2 piece if in a hurry and worry about it at rebuild time.

Dietmar
619 561 7774
http://www.quixoteracing.com