Clutch/ throw out bearing

Thomas Galuardi

Clutch/ throw out bearing

Post by Thomas Galuardi »

I use a cable operated clutch. I replaced the spring, clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate.
With the transmission on the floor the clutch arm with the new spring swings smoothly through its arc.
However, when mounted back on the engine it only moves a small amount and then feels solid. I reinstalled the
old pressure plate and the same thing. I can't seem to move the arm far enough to attach the clutch cable.
Any thoughts?
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Clutch/ throw out bearing

Post by FV80 »

Tom,
Are you sure that the cable is as long as it WAS? Cables are usually routed around a pulley or 2 to get to the trannie - possibly it has fallen off of a pulley or gotten caught somewhere. Are the cable and arm in the same positions they were before you made the change? (why DID you change the spring? I assume you are also aware that it takes quite a bit of pressure to move that arm against the pressure plate springs. Mine feels solid as a ROCK by hand. I use a 12" punch and the center hole on the top of the trannie - I can get enough leverage to move the arm that way, but NO WAY can I move it with hand pressure alone. Also - if you changed from the older 3 finger pp to the new 'diaphragm' type, the pressure of the newer plates is a bit higher - or at least it seems so to me.

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Tom:

Any time the clutch disc is replaced ( and the pressure plate) the assembly needs adjustment. Withough more info (pp type, throw out bearing type,etc), it is difficult for me to make any recommendations.

Probably easier to give me a call rather than go back and forth here.

Dietmar
619 561 7774
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Thomas Galuardi wrote:I use a cable operated clutch. I replaced the spring, clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate.
With the transmission on the floor the clutch arm with the new spring swings smoothly through its arc.
However, when mounted back on the engine it only moves a small amount and then feels solid. I reinstalled the
old pressure plate and the same thing. I can't seem to move the arm far enough to attach the clutch cable.
Any thoughts?
I suspect that when you come to the point where it "feels solid", you are simply at the point where it is hitting the actual clutch for disengagement. Prior to that point you are just pushing against the clutch coil spring on the arm. To actually dis-engage the clutch with the arm takes a BIG screwdriver or crowbar. I think you just aren't pressing enough.
Check to see if you are dis-engaging the clutch. I bet you aren't.

Jim
Thomas Galuardi

Post by Thomas Galuardi »

Thank you everyone. Somethings are just too simple. After taking the trans and engine in and out several times, and changing the pressure plate back and forth many times, you are all correct. The crow bar worked. So I installed the lump back in the chassis and lengthened the cable a little and wa la. It seems to work. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

Tom
Old FV 20
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

I thought "lump" was for Englishman only. Is it used on the Continent?

Brian