Transaxle oil - shockproof?

tiagosantos

Transaxle oil - shockproof?

Post by tiagosantos »

Hi - my car's original setup sheet specifies Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil, but the previous owner crossed it out and told me not to use shockproof - something about the syncros not liking it very much.

Any thoughts? Are most guys just running Redline MTL?

Cheers :)
brian

Re: Transaxle oil - shockproof?

Post by brian »

I do not recommend shockproof for my customers. The shockproofing is obtained by using tiny spheres of stuff that builds up in synchros and splines and increases drag. Straight MTL or motorcycle oil is better.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

It won't hurt a thing but might cause a bit of additional drag. (None that you would ever notice though.) Our gears are angle cut and we have under 60HP and don't don't typically require a shockproof oil. (Shockproof contains some microscopic solid particles that cushing the gear surfaces in very heavy pressure applications. It also helps prevent "flyoff" of the oil from the gears. All good things, but not needed.)
I would recommend the RedLine Lightweight 75/90 gear oil. MTL is also ok.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Thanks guys :)