Transponder location

Edward Schubert

Transponder location

Post by Edward Schubert »

Were is the best place to mount my transponder? Do they need a "clear" view or can they see through fiberglass?
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
SR Racing

Re: Transponder location

Post by SR Racing »

They recommend a "clear view", but lots of people use them over glass. I have even seen one over aluminum that worked fine.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

1) They do not work well close to ground level. The cone shape output signal is too small when it hits the ground and makes for a weak signal.

2) If through aluminum, there needs to be 3/4" hole and the unit mounted/centered right on top the hole. You do not want the hole to interfere with the cone shaped signal.

Brian
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Mine is mounted to the frame just ahead of the front beam. Pretty close to the ground, and it's actually sitting at an angle, but seems to work fine. I've seen people use them zip tied to the top beam tube, but most guys here seem to run them on the frame. I've even seen frames that were notched to fit the transponder - I would guess to keep it safe and to preserve the aero hehe.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

I bought a car from Scott Meyer which had the transponder on the inside of the frame tube in the pedal area. Shoots through a 1" hole in the floor covered with duct tape. Works great and will survive any crash worth surviving. I have converted two other cars to this configuration. PITA but a job you'll only need to do once. At $399, thats good!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Mystique Racing

Post by Mystique Racing »

Yes, as Greg said I mount all transponders in front of the clutch pedal behind the frame rail. Then I drill a hole through the belly pan and cover it with duct tape, Those transponders are way to expensive to mount them in a vulnerable place IMO.

On another note something I learned is that if two cars cross the finish line at close to the same time, the winner is determined visually, not by the transponder ping. So you don't have to mount the transponder in the very front of the car thinking that there will be some advantage by it crossing the line first compared to the other drivers transponder.

[ external image ]
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

http://www.diamondformulacars.com
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

I have had mine inside the frame over a hole in the steel belly pan since I bought it. Many years ago at VIR they said I had a weak signal but it worked fine everywhere else OK. At Topeaka the last year they said the same thing but over half of the class had the same problem and I found out other classes also were effected. I did make the hole much bigger and haven't had any problems with it since. I have one from when they first came out and like Greg says they are to expensive to put in an unprotecked location.

Ed