Front steering tie rod replacement

hars550

Front steering tie rod replacement

Post by hars550 »

I had a front tie rod bent while I was towed in after I spun at VIR this past weekend.
The tow rope got wrapped up in the front as the truck took off with out telling me.
Anyway I want to replace them. It is a 67 AD Vintage Vee. The rod on their now is
the original rod which is around 3/4" dia. with 1/2" thresded stud welded on each end.
What do you guys recommend as far as material and either swedged tubing or soild.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Front steering tie rod replacement

Post by Dietmar »

Most of the suppliers listed above can provide you with the heim style rod ends and tie rods -either aluminum or steel.
Check your messages.

Dietmar
http://www.QuixoteRacing.com
brian

Post by brian »

I use 5/8 od .120 wall steel tubing. It's very strong and cheap. You can use either 1/2" or 3/8" rod ends after the tubing is tapped. I use 1/2" since they're stronger and will last longer. You will have to drill out the tubing to be able to tap for the 1/2". If you have access to a lathe, drilling out the tubing is quite easy. I prefer right and left threads. It means buying a left hand tap but you will be able to adjust toe much more accurately. The swedged aluminum tubing is quite cost effective if you buy it from a circle track vendor. It won't be as strong as steel but it will be lighter, just make sure it's tapped with both right and left hand threads.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

Not much to add other than if you're careful and have a steady hand, you can drill and tap the tubing with a hand drill and a tap. Clamp the tubing in a vice and drill up to the size you need for the tap. Getting the tap started straight is usually the hardest part, but it's not a disaster if you are slightly off square.
Edward Schubert

Post by Edward Schubert »

Speedway motors (speedwaymotors.com) has them in steel and alum. They are tapped left and right. They are also swedged (stronger than non-swedeged). Very reasonable....about $10-$15 each depending on size and mat'l. Sprint Car sites such as BR Motorsports and Arizona Race Parts are also good sources.
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
bobc

Post by bobc »

I bought mine from SR Racing already made up of alum. with left and right rod ends at a very reasonable price. Jim will work out the length you need and was quick with delivery.
hars550

Post by hars550 »

I ended up getting 7/8" dia Steel Swedged tubing with 1/2" ends from Speedway.
Real cheap. I bought 2 sets just in case again.
Thanks for all the replies.
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

7/8! WOW! Probably won't bend those. next time you'll just break the steering box. :-)

I run a push pull cable system with fishing line to save weight. :-)
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
remmers

Post by remmers »

we made 3/8" solid steel tubes on our lathe (purchased at Pratt and Whitney auction), that way the drill hole and threads were perfectly straight, or at least close enough to straight that we couldn't tell something's amiss