Tire Pressure Question

rstackjd

Tire Pressure Question

Post by rstackjd »

Newbie getting ready for school. What kind of tire pressure do you guys normally start with cold? I'll be running at Blackhawk and using Hoosier's if that makes a difference. I just remember the first time I showed up at the stock car track years ago and quickly learned that I have FAR too much air in the tires. I also assume that on a road race car stagger is not an issue and ideally the circumference of the tires should be equal side to side?

Thanks
MDURKEE

Re: Tire Pressure Question

Post by MDURKEE »

Some chassis differ on what pressure they prefer. However 20lbs rear and 19lbs front might be a good starting point.
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

MDURKEE wrote:Some chassis differ on what pressure they prefer. However 20lbs rear and 19lbs front might be a good starting point.
Ok thanks - the chassis is an Adams, 1988.

I heard from someone off-list as well who thought 17 front and 19 rear, so now I've got a starting range to work with anyway.

Better than showing up with 35 all around (like I did 15 years ago at the stock car track! :oops: :oops: :oops: )

Live and learn
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

17-19 frt, 19-21 rear, will be fine. If you are a novice you won't notice the difference. Is the car well sorted? Who is helping you at the school? You have ..NO.. time for any trouble at the school.

Brian
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:17-19 frt, 19-21 rear, will be fine. If you are a novice you won't notice the difference. Is the car well sorted? Who is helping you at the school? You have ..NO.. time for any trouble at the school.

Brian
thanks. The "sorting" is going on right now, so it should be ok - just got the motor back from the dyno and break-in so it should be good to go. Going over the rest of it in the next two weeks. Our region is having an open house this sunday and apparently there will be tech inspectors there so I should be able to get through Tech (or have any issues pointed out) next weekend.

As for "who's helping me at school" I'll have a few allies there but not really any crew. All the more reason to make sure everything is good to go before we get there.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

I mean "track" sorted. Try to do a track test day before the school. The car MUST be mechanically perfect. YOU will not have ANY time for the car at the school. You will be lucky to have time for the bathroom.

You must have one crew man who knows Vees and a little about your car.

Brian
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

I did my school last year and rented a car, it's the way to go unless you have some help. In most schools, you get out of the class room and jump right on the track. You might have time to put a splash of gas in the car... but if it's raining, and you need to change tires... you'll miss a session.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

"unless you have some help" .... NOT "some" help, FV knowledgeable help or a crew with some FV exposer. This cannot be overstated.

You must put in a certain amount of track time to pass the school. The instructors want to see you on the track doing the right things. Most of the right things have nothing to do with hitting the apexes right by the way. We're trying to spot the idiots as soon as possible!

Brian
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

[quote="hardingfv32-1We're trying to spot the idiots as soon as possible!

Brian[/quote]

For the best all around I'm sure! I'm trying to get some support there for sure, but no commitments just yet. If I had unlimited resources then an arrive and drive would be great, but I don't so I'll have to live with what I can do and hope for the best.

Thanks
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:NOT "some" help, FV knowledgeable help or a crew with some FV exposer. This cannot be overstated.
Bob,

Hate to say it, but Brian is correct. You'll be lucky to find the time to fart during this upcoming DS/R weekend. I'm going to be instructing and will certainly try to help you make it through the school (with some older but still useful FV knowledge). The last few schools we've put guys through in an FST, we logged an average of 9 hours of engine time on the DA system during the weekend.

On the Monday after, your body will be feeling the effects. But if all goes well, your brain will still have a smile.
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

Knowledgable help is really useful over and above some one to put gas in and check tire pressures. The Blackhawk school is a really good one. Lots of good instructors with open wheel experience.

I'm still smiling 2 years later :mrgreen:
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

Anyone know if you can attend the SCCA school at BHF for track time only? I'm doing this at the Council school the prior weekend to sort out myself and the new car, not to get licensed since I already have one. But it couldn't hurt to go through school for the second, third or fourth time I guess!
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

You HAVE to call the chief instructor/steward for permission. But in most cases it is not a problem. They are normally just concerned with seasoned drivers who are there just to get track time and thus possibly intimidate the students.
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Tire Pressure Question - now, driving school etiquette

Post by FV80 »

As a former chief driving instructor, *MY* biggest concern was not 'intimdation', but rather whether the person could stay out of everyone's way and not go BLASTING around the track stealing apexes. You need to exercise RESPECT for the on-track students and NOT interfere with what they are trying to accomplish. ( and wadding your car [and possibly someone else's] into a ball because a student did something you did not anticipate is NOT an acceptable excuse! <G>).
FWIW,
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80