Need more input on the FV manifold rules

cendiv37

Re: Need more input on the FV manifold rules

Post by cendiv37 »

Ed,

The flange dimensions in the new rules were based on a fairly large sample of manifolds the committee members and others could get their hands on last November when we were working on this. I think it amounted to about 100 manifolds measured. We took the largest and added some to each direction to allow for some room for outliers beyond what we had seen. It sounds like we may have cut it a bit close on the long dimension, but you are "legal" at 2.987" though barely. What this new limitation was getting at was either the use of oddball non-1200 manifolds OR any attempt to stretch the flange significantly to force a larger ball through.

To me it looks like we are OK at 2.990", but just. I don't know whether it's worth making the change. Thankfully we added something to the largest we had measured!

I suggest you submit the dimensions of your flanges in your letter to the crb and suggest that the 2.990" limit might be a bit tight.
Bruce
cendiv37
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Bill et al,

My comment about NOT responding to the CRB with comments on the new suggestions was a concern that they might not know the specifics of what we were commenting on. Item 2 would be a new request and presumably you might choose either item 3 or 4. Would the CRB know about these items if they hadn't been submitted? SteveO has stated they haven't been. Probably the CRB knows now however... :lol:

-Jim
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

If you send an email to the CRB, you will receive an automated reply back stating your letter will be forwarded to the appropriate advisory committee. I assume that is why the committee asked us to send our letters to the CRB in the first place.
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

To everyone complaining about liberal rule interpretations,

Are you claiming that the bends of your manifold were 0.994 inches all the way around the bends and down to the mounting flange that sits on the head?

Are you also claiming that your manifold was NEVER ball sized to the maximum allowed dimension? (Ball sizing is not specifically listed as an allowed modification, so if it doesn't say you can do it, don't - right?)

If so, then congratulations. I am impressed with the level of performance you were able to achieve.

If not, then stop playing the holier than thou card and claiming everyone else had too liberal of an interpretation of the rules except for you.

I don't care if a rule is passed or not, what I do want is a manifold of equal performance to Brad, Nuby, Steve O, etc. Not that I think the manifold is preventing me from running with them, but because I want to know that I have the best available. Make that available and I could care less about the rule changes.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
maurus97

Post by maurus97 »

Never mind. Wasn't intending to lecture and it was an old thread.

Congrats to Ron this weekend. I had a great(fun) weekend. A very sincere special thanks to Lisa Noble, Fred Clark, George & MaryAnne, Larry Campbell, & Bob L.
Last edited by maurus97 on June 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

maurus97... why the lecture? This thread has been quite since Mar 17th.

I am involved with a number of forums and there is nothing unusual about the discourse on this forum. How do I know what level of sarcasm is acceptable to you on any other viewer? All of us have different writing styles, some of which might not be to your view pleasure. That is simply not going to change.

Brian
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:maurus97... why the lecture? This thread has been quite since Mar 17th.
Of 2009!