Caldwell D13 rear suspension question

pillowmeto

Caldwell D13 rear suspension question

Post by pillowmeto »

I am putting back together a D13 that I bought in pieces. I am trying to figure out the rear suspension mounting locations. I know that the bottom of the arms (what is their official name?) mount on the 1/2" bolts that go through the trans mounts and rear of the frame. How do they mount there? My arms have a 3/4" ID hole in them. I am assuming a bushing goes in there and a washer between the head of the bolt and arm and the arm and trans. mount. Does anyone have a picture of this assembly unassembled? And while I have you here, does anyone have some extra front beam mount bolts? I can not seem to find them anywhere.
Rich_G

Re: Caldwell D13 rear suspension question

Post by Rich_G »

The uprights have bushings that go inside them and a captive washer over the whole deal at the end of the bolt. Dietmar has helped me with new bushings in the past, you may want to drop him a line (see add at the top of the page).

Regards,
Rich
FM92
South Carolina Region
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

The uprights that you are referring to take a brass bushing ( which I have in stock) and inside that bushing is a steel insert with a 1/2" hole. Due to wear inside and outside, these have to be replaced every few years. Washer between the frame and the trans mount, washer between the trans mount and the upright, washer between the bolt head and the upright. And, although the manual shows the bolt inserted through the hole before the engine is installed, it is better to insert the bolt from the rear- that way if it breaks or has to be replaced for any reason, you do not have to remove the engine. (Ask me how I know).

Lawrence Hayes can make the beam "U" bolts I believe. They are a weird size and I have never found any available off the shelf.

I also have the assembly manual for the D-13 if you are interested ( you have my number).

Hope this helps
Dietmar
kidkoh

Post by kidkoh »

any spring shop should be able to make you a set of u-bolts. I had a set made for $20.they are 2 3/4 wide center by 4 3/4 long as for the setup I will try to scan a scamatics of the rear suspension that I got with the car. they should be in the original buld sheets that was offerd to you. let me know if you need them