Hoosier R55 vs Goodyear vs Avon

TigerBob

Hoosier R55 vs Goodyear vs Avon

Post by TigerBob »

I'm just curious how Hoosiers, Goodyear, and Avon compare as far as grip, predictability, longetivity. I don't know specifics about which compound for Goodyear and Avon so whatever their latest is. It looks like Hoosier is the current tire to have but I can get Goodyears for much less.

Thanks for your opinions.
Bob
FV90

Re: Hoosier R55 vs Goodyear vs Avon

Post by FV90 »

I am not going to claim to be the best judge but here is just what I have taken note of the past year. Being a low budget race I have tended to get used tires from Berget (Goodyears) and noted that the Goodyears seemed to have more life left in them as they wore down in Time Trials. I bought new Hoosiers for my Caracal to go to road race school this year and found the Hoosiers very good at first but later in their life they lost grip. My observations were from a time trial event using the new Hoosiers last year (when they were brand new) and the same time trial event this year (had run the road race school and 45th anniversary event) - the first TT event had me leading overall in FV but the event the next year the car just would not grip as well and wound up third fastest (and a second slower than the year before). Another comparison was with used Goodyears (430) and Hoosiers (55) -each set had almost the same number of runs and were half used. The used Goodyears had more grip than the used Hoosiers running on my old Caldwell.
veehive

Post by veehive »

Avon ??? :shock: Avon has FV tires ?! Hunh.

Man, I have not been keeping up. Gotta go do some researchin'.

And, yes, I realize it's NOT the make-up people. :mrgreen:
Team Shanghai Alice
TigerBob

Post by TigerBob »

When I bought my Caldwell D-13 this summer it came with a 'new' set of Avon's. By new, I mean probably 3 years old but never used. They actually seem to be a pretty good tire. They were pretty slippery at first but once they were heat cycled a couple of times they seem pretty decent. I also had a set of used Hoosiers and they seem to grip really well and then traction drops off in a hurry once they wear down.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go ahead with the Goodyears to see how I like them.
-Bob
brian

Post by brian »

The avons are no longer available. They were a bit too sticky and tied the car up too much. Any tire will benefit from proper heat cycling and care. Take any new tire out and pound on it for 30 minutes and it's life will be shortened. After many years on GY's I switched to Hoosiers and have found them very durable. They seem to be better than the Amercian Racers for lasting many heat cycles. I understand that GY is still working to catch up on a National race basis and there may be some deals on prior design inventories.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

It's been years since I've tried a set of GY's, and I've never tried Avon's. But I will attest to Hoosier durability. Last year Hoosier switched from 55 and 45A tires to 55A and 45B tires. These latest versions have unbelievable life, assuming proper break-in like Brian mentioned. With a proper scuff session, the 55A's and 45B's should be at optimum for several heat cycles, depending on how long and abusive the sessions are. At tracks in the Midwest, I qualified on the pole for several nationals this past season with tires having upwards of 6 heat cycles on them. I ran one set 13 sessions, and lap times had barely fallen off. In testing I will often run tires until coords are showing, and the performance drop doesn't get steep until the wear indicators are no longer visible. I tend to think that's more an issue with something changing in the tire dynamics (stange effective camber, spring issues, ect. from less rubber) then the compound itself degrading.

Again, how abusive your enviornment, driving style, length of heat cycles ect., will affect your milage.