reverse lock-out

fvkartguy

reverse lock-out

Post by fvkartguy »

Has anyone put some kind of device to block the reverse gear in their car? And if so, can you post some pictures or PM me? Thanks!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
fv195

Re: reverse lock-out

Post by fv195 »

I have 2 cars, and 2 differant lockouts. will try to post photos of the one that works best
24b4Jeff

Post by 24b4Jeff »

None of my business really, but in addition to it being a questionable idea in the first place, it is illegal. GCR, page 210, item C
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

....Jeff:

If you are referring to :...reverse gear shall be operable from the driver's seat, then a reverse lock -out is LEGAL as it still allows the driver to access reverse when needed- just when NOT needed.
Some find it difficult to get second gear (when downshifting) without going to reverse as they are very close so the lock-outs that I have seen (or made) act as a guide either on the shift rod or at the nose cone and do not allow the shifter to move to reverse without engaging the lock-out.

Hope this helps
Dietmar
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

My car came with a reverse lockout. It consists of a 1"X1/8" steel bar about 8" long that runs along the left side of the shift pattern about half way up the shift lever. It's bolted to a tab on one end. This also acts as a pivot to unlock reverse. The other end has a notch cut in it, and a stud with wing nut is attached to the frame and holds the lock in place but allows fairly quick release with the wing nut. The whole setup is not very adjustable. I recently did some crude bending of the lockout bar when second gear wasn't available--normal wear in the shift linkage makes this occasionally necessary.

[ external image ]
The lockout bar goes from left to right, just above the shift linkage (It's the wavy piece).
The bolt on the left is the pivot. You can see the wing nut to the right of the shift knob.
With the wing nut loosened, the whole reverse-lock-bar swings up and out of the way.

The front of the car is on the right.
My web browser cuts off the right side of the picture and does not provide scroll bars.
Load the picture by itself if you can't see it all.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Although methods similar to Dan's will work, the BEST way is to fabricate something at the trannie nose piece - MUCH less susceptible to wear as time passes. I've seen one (years ago) that clamped onto the nose piece and had a bar/plate extending out to the end of the hockey stick when in reverse. It had a spring loaded shaft through a hole in it and a plate on the top of the shaft 'caught' the end of the shifter when it went to 1st/2nd. If you pressed harder on the shifter up front, you could load the spring and get it into reverse, but normally it wouldn't go.

I can't remember the EXACT details, but I've been thinking about building one of these for my car. If I do, I'll post a pic.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
fv195

Post by fv195 »

the one I have is a billit allum. peice that goes on the nose cone. made by a guy named Ken Taggert. it has a bar that slides to block reverse. IN hillclimbs you need second alot. I'll try to get Taggerts number posted
THOR
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Thor - how about posting a picture of yours?
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Here's how my set up is built. More of a spring loaded gate than a total lock out.
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
clubford00

Post by clubford00 »

One of the best reverse lock outs i have ever seen was probably the simplest as well. If someone out there has a picture of the stock Zink C-4 lockout please post it. Its simple and works !
Dean
Real Racecars, DONT have fenders !!!
csingletary01

Post by csingletary01 »

I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for some photos of a simple reverse lockout. Can anybody help?
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

If you're near any one with a vintage Zink C-4 take a look at that style (I'd send a photo but mine doesn't have one). It's about as simple as it can get and you can make it up out of scrap steel plate. It's basically a small tongue that mounts on the shifter cross-shaft and you can flip it up or down to lock out reverse. I'm told it is also a very good guide to 2nd when it's in place. I want to put one on my C-4 because I do grind now and then on the 3-2 downshift coming into the pit lane. That job is somewhere down on the list after replacing the front beam that a flying FV managed to bend at almost a 45 degree angle two weeks ago. But...that's another story.
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
FV95

Post by FV95 »

I have what I think is the best lock out designed. I will send photos to those who ask, since I haven't figured out how to post a photo here. Essentially it is attached to the nose piece and has a sliding rod through it (controlled from the drivers seat) that blocks rotation of the shaft to prevent catching reverse. The second piece attaches to the shaft, best described as a tab that is interferred with by the cable controlled rod mentioned above. Ken Taggart designed this lock out device. It is simple, durable and very effective. I am a hill climber and a reverse lock out is critical. Pls request photos to jjpfoto@earthlink.net.
csingletary01

Post by csingletary01 »

FV95 I have sent you my email address for the photos. I vintage race my Vee and at one of our tracks, Hallet I think on the opening laps 2nd would be useful in one of the slow corners, plus I would like to AutoX the car and without being able to go from 3rd to 2nd it is very hard to compete.