Front Impact Attenuation Structure

elston36

Front Impact Attenuation Structure

Post by elston36 »

We ran into a little problem going through tech last saturday. It took us about 15 minutes before the tech guy kind of gave in and passed us. He kept referring to the new GCR Front Impact Attenuation rule on page 104. 9.4.5-G

Has anyone else run into this, and is there an easy way to resolve this with an inspector not real familiar with Vees?

Donald
Fear is temporary... Regret is forever.
brian

Re: Front Impact Attenuation Structure

Post by brian »

You should have told the tech guy that there was a tech bulletin that exempted Fv from the foot box. If you have something that sticks out 8 inches or more there has to be an anti intrusion plate which by the way, satisfies the footbox rule as well. I'd suggest going to the SCCA website and find the fastrac that has the bulletin and carrying a copy to the races with you. I carry a copy but I'm on the road and can't search it for you.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Samiam

Post by Samiam »

Does anyone know which month this bulletin came out in? Was it 2007 or 2008?

Scott
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Scott,

Try checking out this thread from last summer. It might have what you're looking for.

interchange/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1453&p= ... tion#p8963

John
Dave Gomberg

Post by Dave Gomberg »

The rule that is specific to FV is 9.4.5.G.2.

2. Formula Vee and other formula cars using the VW sedan H-beam front suspension may use the front crush structure specified
in 9.1.1.C.3.a.10., or any of the structures listed in G.1 above.

That means the previous FV requirement (9.1.1.C.3.a.10) is sufficient. But, if you wish, you can use one of the newer specifications.

Dave
MCRacer

Post by MCRacer »

Dave Gomberg wrote:The rule that is specific to FV is 9.4.5.G.2.

2. Formula Vee and other formula cars using the VW sedan H-beam front suspension may use the front crush structure specified
in 9.1.1.C.3.a.10., or any of the structures listed in G.1 above.

That means the previous FV requirement (9.1.1.C.3.a.10) is sufficient. But, if you wish, you can use one of the newer specifications.

Dave
I have wondered how this would shake out in the real world. A different possible interpretation of the new rule is that a structure IS required for cars homolagated after 1986 and that structure can satisfy either 9.4.5.G.1 OR conform to the structure defined in 9.1.1.C.3.a.10. In this interpretation one is not allowed to omit the structure under the "less than 8 inch" conditions of the old rule (9.1.1.C.3.a.10). Perhaps I have been "lucky" in not be able to sell my '85 Predator.

Mike
elston36

Post by elston36 »

Mike,

I think your point is what the inspector was confused about.

Thanks for the input, all...

Donald
Fear is temporary... Regret is forever.
brian

Post by brian »

I agree with the element of confusion. I received a clarification from Jeromy of SCCA tech but maybe the CRB needs to put out a tech bulletin. Dave, are you reading this?
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.