Front Wheel Bearing and Hub assembly Qs

subrew

Front Wheel Bearing and Hub assembly Qs

Post by subrew »

Good Evening,

I took off my front drums to inspect shoe lining thickness, and prepare for a change of wheel cylinders and flex lines. On the driver side, I noticed that the two top bolts (of the three bolts) that secure the backing plate to the spindle have a groove worn into the head of the bolt. Flipping the drum over, it is obvious that the inside of the drum where the inner wheel bearing resides was in contact with these bolt heads.

I should point out that I have run the car twice in the last month, and have not noticed any peculiar issues. I did notice that the driver side wheel bearing was a little sloppy after the first event, so I reset the clearance before last weekends event.

Inspecting the inner wheel bearing (standard ball type) it appears as if the balls have been pushed toward the outside (away from the car) about 1/8" of an inch. I can literally push the balls in and out with a gentle touch of a finger. It appears that this displacement of the balls is allowing the entire drum to push onto the stub axle too far, and thus drum to bolt head contact is made.

So the obvious question is...is this a syndrome of a bad inner wheel bearing? Or has something with the drum causeed the wheel bearing to have this type of outward movement? Did I perhaps tighten the front axle nut too much during my wheel bearing set, and somehow caused the inner bearing to be displaced?

I have not changed front wheel bearings on this car (one of the few things I have not changed yet) so I'm a n00b at this procedure. Any tips or guidance on the cause of this issue, as well as wheel bearing replacement would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris H.
Chico, CA
'64 AD
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Front Wheel Bearing and Hub assembly Qs

Post by Dietmar »

Chris:

let me try to understand your situation as I am unclear about: ...the balls have been pushed towards the outside of the car about 1/8 in.
Do you mean that when you inspect the inner bearing that it is still in the drum or you have removed the grease seal and the bearing is in your hand?

On the spindle you should have a spacer with a groove in it. Coming outward from that spacer, there is the inner race for the inner ball ( in your case) bearing. Is this race in place?

Since you (and I ) are on the west coast, you can still call me tonight (until 11) and I can discuss this with you if you wish. Easier than going back and forth on this board.
Dietmar
619 561 7774
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Chris, I would certainly take Dietmar up on his offer of assistance.
I do recall trying to replace the old hardware (3 backing plate bolts) on a car and having a clearance issue. My spiffy new blue hardware (particularily the lockwasher) was quite a bit beefier than the original VW hardware. In my case, I just but back the 1961 hardware (which was probably better quality anyway) back in, and my problem was solved.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
subrew

Post by subrew »

Dietmer,

Thank you very much for the offer to call. Luckily, I think I solved my own problem.

What is that old saying? "always check the last thing you changed"

When I had added another shim to the drivers side lower link pin, I had the backing plate off. I remember losing two of the little internal serrated locking washers, and replaced them with a conventional split lock washer. Unfortunately, the split washer is 0.108" thick, while the serrated lock washer is only 0.048" thick. The little grooves that were cut into those two bolt heads are about ~ 0.020".

I found the two washers I had lost when I had swept the shop floor last week, so they have now been installed, along with freshly packed bearings. No rubbing of any sort.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the "novice" forum, which I obviously belong too. doh!

Chris H.
PS: I really enjoyed Buttonwillow last weekend. A lot more technical than Thunderhill. Perhaps later in the year, or next year, I'll set about joining VARA so I can run with you guys.