Throw out bearing installation

Don

Throw out bearing installation

Post by Don »

Need some clairfication on how to properly install the spring clips on the throw out bearing. My Haynes manual kinda indicates that the bent end fits into the bearing lug, but came across a picture on the internet that shows the bent end gripping the back of the fork. Since it came off last race (fortunately on the 2nd last lap of the last session so I got my weekend in!) I don't want to install it wrong and have to pull the engine (agian). This is the first time replacing the bearing so I have no reference to go by. Thanks for any help, don
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Throw out bearing installation

Post by Dietmar »

Don:
There are actually two different types of clips- the first is the original clip that looks like a "U" with a small hook on the end. If you are using this style, then the straight part goes in the hole at the end of the TO bearing and the hook goes around the back of the fork that the TO bearing sits in.

The second style- which is much preferred, actually has a loop at the top- the ends are the same as the former style. This type is much more secure and does not tend to fall out as easily. They are cheap replacements- about $2 for the pair.

Either style- I install one end and then use a vise grip on the second clip- first inserting the straight end into the bearing and then pushing the end with the hook around the fork.

Hope this helps.
Dietmar
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Ditto on what Dietmar said. I have had one come out before (when nothing else was wrong) and ping/ping the crap out of the inside of the bell housing... not to mention how poorly the clutch worked. I SAFETY WIRE mine. After installation and a thorough inspection, I wire from one side to the other over the trans input shaft - doesn't need to be tight - just adds a little tension to keep those little buggers from wanting to come out! :mrgreen:
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Don

Post by Don »

Thanks very much guys. Good idea to wire the clips. I did order the heay duty ones. Appreciate the help.

Cheers, don