spindle kit

Daryl

spindle kit

Post by Daryl »

Have heard of kits available to strengthen/reinforce the hollow spindles....

What options are available that will also work on disk brake/ball joint spindles?

Thanks,

Daryl
Bill_Bonow

Re: spindle kit

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Daryl,

The ball joint spindle (disc or drum) axle stub is shorter and the inner bearing surface is almost double the diameter (vs. link pin). They don't need strengthening or reinforcement, VW did that for us by design.

Bill
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Thanks for the response Bill. Does that mean kits aren't available because they aren't required? Or that they are available but not needed?

I am building a FProd vintage ghia that will likely see similar cornering speeds as a FV, but at 1800# with the extra spring rate (force) and heat generated under braking I am concerned about the spindle.

What about tether kits in case one does fail?

Thanks!
brian

Post by brian »

The kits that Mike Palermo sells fit the link pin spindle and won't fit the later model stuff. You can thread a bolt down the center of the spindle to strengthen it. It's an off road trick that may need drilling before tapping but it will add strength to the spindle.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Thanks Brian and Bill.
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Any idea how much these kits cost?
brian wrote:The kits that Mike Palermo sells fit the link pin spindle and won't fit the later model stuff. You can thread a bolt down the center of the spindle to strengthen it. It's an off road trick that may need drilling before tapping but it will add strength to the spindle.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Can't remember off the top of my head, but they're reasonable.. I think they were more than $50 and less than $100!
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

$70. to your door, with necc. shims and instructions. Just sent out a set today. If I was a rich man, I would GIVE these to every Vee racer............but, I'm not. :cry:
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Do you ship to Canada? What payment methods do you accept?
sharplikestump wrote:$70. to your door, with necc. shims and instructions. Just sent out a set today. If I was a rich man, I would GIVE these to every Vee racer............but, I'm not. :cry:
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

I don't think Mike checks the forum all that often, it's probably best if you email him directly (fveeguy [at] yahoo [dot] com) But yeah, he shipped my set to Canada for an extra little bit for shipping :)
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Thanks for the info, I will email him directly .
tiagosantos wrote:I don't think Mike checks the forum all that often, it's probably best if you email him directly (fveeguy [at] yahoo [dot] com) But yeah, he shipped my set to Canada for an extra little bit for shipping :)
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0