egine will not stay running

go-vee-or-go-home

egine will not stay running

Post by go-vee-or-go-home »

Hi, first post on the site. I just picked up my first vee last year and everything has been going great . I am geatting ready fir this season up here in Vancouver B.C. and I am having a slight issue with the car.
It aill start very well and sounds great for about 10 seconds then dies it revs up, brand new gas evrything seems fine I have not changed anything from last year. It restarts everytime but will not run for more than 10 - 15 sec. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Thank you very much for your time
Colin
Thanks for your time
Colin
FV80
Site Admin

Re: egine will not stay running

Post by FV80 »

Colin,
If you left fuel in the carb over the winter, AND it was regular automotive fuel (not avgas) then it's highly likely that you have some enamel built up in the carb. Regular gasolines evaporate over time, leaving behind a filmy enamel that coats "things" in the carb and plugs up the small jet openings. Basically, the thing to do is to remove the carb top (4 screws) and make sure the needle valve is moving freely. Then remove every thing you can find that has a screw that CAN be removed, clean it good in CARB CLEANER (not brake clean - it wont dissolve the enamel), and put it back together. If you have compressed air, you should use it to blow through all openings (be careful not to blow any 'parts' across the room never to be found again).

I don't know how much experience you have with race motors and you don't make it really clear in your post, but you should NOT expect it to IDLE when first cranked either. (if this is the case, then DON'T follow the advise in my first paragraph <G>). You will generally have to 'mess' with the throttle for at least a minute or so to keep them running unless it's warm (engine warm - not ambient temp warm). It's pretty rare to find one that will crank and idle when cold - they ALL quit after a few seconds at first. :mrgreen:
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

I would recommend draining all the gas from your cell and fuel system. Start with new gas.

Clean the entire system - fuel filter, carb, etc.

Also, make sure you don't have a leak in your induction system. Start the engine and play with the throttle to make it run. Spray some WD40 at the base of the manifold where it meets the heads. If the RPM's race or drop, you have a leak.

I am not too far south from you in Seattle, let me know if you need help. Give me a call or send me an email. saslow(at)comcast(dot)net or (two)06-778-892(one)

Are you going to be running Conference (ICSCC-SCCBC) or SCCA this year?
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
go-vee-or-go-home

Thanks for the replies. I think I will be sticking around my home track here in mission ,bc for this year and running all the cacc and icscc with the sccbc. Not alot of experience with engines but yes i know that it will not idle til warm. I do rev keep revving it to keep it running but always dies on its own. I did treat the gas at the end of last year ran it multiple times before empting out the cell at end of last year, I figured that would take care of anything still sitting in the system. I will take the carb apert and clean everything with carb cleaner. I have been looking for the fuel filter seems the line goes from the cell directly to the carb do not see a filter , where else would it be.
Thanks alot for the info, I am sure I will be asking alot more questions.
I am really loving running the vee
Colin
Thanks for your time
Colin
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

A LOT of people (and cars) don't run a fuel filter. I do recommend them though. I actually have TWO filters on mine - 1 before and one after the pump.
Speaking of the pump - it could also be your problem. And you should make sure that the vent line to the cell is open (blow into vent with the fuel cap off). Not likely that it's the vent since it should run for several minutes even with it blocked - but might as well check it too :-).

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
go-vee-or-go-home

I will check the vent. I have had a couple of local guys mention the fuel pump aswell. Our first race is this weekend and there is a friday practice. The local vee guys said just bring it out and we will bring a carb and a fuel pump and get it all fixed up. then I can fix the problem after that. I will upadte after the weekend as to what it was thanks for all the help , I am sure I will be needing more.
Colin
Thanks for your time
Colin
veraceur

Post by veraceur »

Have you checked the needle/seat valve in the carb top? If car consistently runs for only ~10 sec; you are probably just be ruining on what's in the float bowl. When you attempt a restart, the sudden burst of psi may cause the vale to release and the float bowl to refill but not sustain continous flow. Remove the carb cover, push needle valve up into fitting, blow thru fuel inlet on carb top and see if valve releases. These are finicky items, so would recommend replacement regardless.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Colin,

Based upon your initial post, this is almost invariably a vacuum leak. As someone sugested, While idling as slow as possible, spray each of the manifold to head mating areas with WD-40, ethyer, windex or almost anything with a mist sprayer. As soon as you hit the leak, the engine will either slow down or rev-up. It will be easy to spot. This is the most common of all VW idling problems.
go-vee-or-go-home

Had a great weekend of racing found all the problems first I taced it back to no fuel coming out of the fuel pump. I removed the pump and found that the the cross pin that holds the inner arm had fallen out, I put it back together although it took me 3 tries to get it right. was running great then died after 4 laps to find that the foam in the fuel cell was breaking down and getting sucked up and glogging the fuel pump. Removed all the foam cleaned the tank put in an in-line filter and she runs like a champ. I had pole on the sunday race but had a driver error going into turn 8, foot slipped off the brake and onto the gas sending me spinning and to the back of the pack , I did managed to get back to 3rd in my group and took home a 3rd overall in the fv group for the weekend. In away I am glad I had these car problems I have already learned so much more about my car, Can I get replacement foam for the cell or does it only come as a set with the new cell maybe it would be best to replace the complete cell I am thinking it is about 15 years old as the car was build in 1993.
Thanks for all your help I look forward to learning more from everyone here
Colin
Thanks for your time
Colin
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Colon,

You can get replacement foam IF your cell has a access hole big enough to get it into. If so, that is certainly the way to go. A new cell will cost you anywhere from $550 to $900, depending upon whether you can use an "off the shelf" cell or one that is custom made.

Jim