Core engines...What to look for

Captain

Core engines...What to look for

Post by Captain »

Hi everyone,

I would like to pick up a core motor and try to build it to spec. As a spare, I am sure I won't have it as nice as the professionals. Someting to set up so that I have at least one back up plan, just in case.

There are some local swap meets comming up . What should a look for in a motor? I am aware of the usual things to check condition wise, what should I be looking for as far as a good Vee motor? I.E, casting numbers, heads, ect...

Thanks
Jim
satterley_sr

Re: Core engines...What to look for

Post by satterley_sr »

Jim,

The one you want to get is from a '65 bug. This has the square boss heads which are the best ones to get. The later '65's also have the cam bearings. You can use the crank, rods, manifold & misc parts from a '60-64 but that's about it. You would be much better in the long run to find a vee engine that needs a re-build. You will save yourself a lot of frustration and $$$ in the long run.

Dave

http://www.ddcracing.com
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Dave is right....

By the time you take down the old stock engine to see what you got, you might save $100 in parts and spend $500 of your time. Try to find a used race engine to start with.

Jim
Captain

Post by Captain »

Thanks for the advice.

I guess if I come along one very cheap I'll pick it up for spares. Otherwise Iook out for a race motor.

Jim
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Keep checking here, they show up periodically.

http://sracing.com/ForSale/forsale.htm

Also, you might post on the Formula First Exchange. There are a few people converting and they might have FV engines for sale.