Rear wheel bearings

FV07

Rear wheel bearings

Post by FV07 »

So, took off my rear drums to check my pads. Good thing too as after closely looking at the drums I discovered cracks in both of them. Pulled off the rear seals to replace due to some leakage. Have never done this before and have a couple of questions: Is there a seal on the inboard side to prevent trans fluid from working its way outboard? If not, is the rear wheel bearing simply lubricated by trans fluid? Should I put any grease on this bearing?

Thanks for the help.

Jim
24b4Jeff

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by 24b4Jeff »

In answer to your questions. First, yes, the rear wheel bearing is lubricated by transmission fluid. So no, you do NOT add any grease. A rear wheel bearing rebuild kit typically includes two O-rings, a paper gasket, and a seal. Most VW books show the assembly, but here is an outline. The paper gasket goes between the cover and the backing plate. The large O-ring rides on the outside of the wheel bearing. The small O-ring fits in the groove on the thick spacer. In reassembling, be sure to properly torque down the four cover retaining bolts (40 - 47 ft-lb)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Don't forget the hard washer. Throw the metal washer that comes in the kit away, purchase the proper one from Bob at LRE. If you don't you will get lot's of practice re-doing the seals.
Dave
brian

Post by brian »

When assembling these components dry add a bit of grease to outside of the seal race, thats the thick spacer after the bearing, and put some oil on the bearing itself. Going on course with these elements totally dry will create problems
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV07

Post by FV07 »

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I need to stop being just a lurker!

Jim