Silver Wheel Color

jpetillo

Silver Wheel Color

Post by jpetillo »

I want to paint some rims the standard silver. I was wondering what people used that as close - Rust Oleum or Krylon. If you powder coated, do you have a powder manufacturer/color number?

Thanks, John
clubford00

Re: Silver Wheel Color

Post by clubford00 »

I use krylon it holds up pretty well and is pretty cheap. I dont recomend powder just because wheels really get beat up and i dont see the added cost as an option. If you care more about being pretty and dont mind re doing wheels every so often then go ahead.
Dean
Real Racecars, DONT have fenders !!!
kevin willmorth

Post by kevin willmorth »

I've been spray can painting everything longer than Butch has been FV racing, so this is an area I have some comfort in.

Consider using engine enamel. Its resistant to oil and solvents. It can also be touched up, etc... Krylon is laquer-based and about as tough as a layer of chalk (for real spray can addicts, Krylon is lightweight stuff used for tagging subways). You can also find wheel paint made by Plasticote, VHT, and Dupli-color. Holds up better, is easy to apply, and can be touched up as well. The Dupli-color stuff is Polyurtehane - which is good for the purpose. For paint can stuff, Rustoleum is acrylic enamel based, so is tougher than the laquer, and produces a nicer finish - but can be kind of flaky at if scratched. There are also base-clear touch up colors from Plasticote and Dupli-color that work very well and look nice.

I've moved from over-the-counter paint supplies myself and mainline packaged touch up paint from Automotive Touch Up group. Larger selection, better paint, and tough. http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm.

Hope that helps
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Guys, thanks for the responses. Clubford, yes, I think I'll stay away from the powder coating for now. Kevin, the link looks good. How do I go about choosing a color code for the silver wheel paint? I've been looking around and have found nothing so far. I'd like it to be close in case I don't got to spray all the wheels - not perfect, just close.

Thanks again, John
kevin willmorth

Post by kevin willmorth »

jpetillo wrote:Guys, thanks for the responses. Clubford, yes, I think I'll stay away from the powder coating for now. Kevin, the link looks good. How do I go about choosing a color code for the silver wheel paint? I've been looking around and have found nothing so far. I'd like it to be close in case I don't got to spray all the wheels - not perfect, just close.

Thanks again, John
What silver are you looking for specifically? The trick to matching is simple enough. Go to a NAPA store with a wheel you want to match, ask them for a paint chart for BASF, or whoever, find the chip that best matches... under it will be the OEM codes, which you can match up anywhere. Actually there are several NAPA stores around that can pre-pack paint into spray cans as well. I've also found a Car Quest or two that can do it, or order it in.

Wheel paints are normally not coded in as a finish color, as they are done to manufacturer spec by the wheel vendor. so finding a match to an existing finish is a bit of a hunt-and-peck process.
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

kevin willmorth wrote:What silver are you looking for specifically? The trick to matching is simple enough. Go to a NAPA store with a wheel you want to match, ask them for a paint chart for BASF, or whoever, find the chip that best matches... under it will be the OEM codes, which you can match up anywhere. Actually there are several NAPA stores around that can pre-pack paint into spray cans as well. I've also found a Car Quest or two that can do it, or order it in.

Wheel paints are normally not coded in as a finish color, as they are done to manufacturer spec by the wheel vendor. so finding a match to an existing finish is a bit of a hunt-and-peck process.
Kevin,
Thanks, that's great information. I'm not looking for a perfect match, but sometimes the choice of colors from Rust Oleum or Krylon is limited, so this gives me a choice - always good! I checked out the NAPA site and see what you're talking about. I think the NAPA near me is one of their paint stores. Thanks again. John