FIA vs. SFI Harness Expiration

jeff

FIA vs. SFI Harness Expiration

Post by jeff »

This is not really a question, I am just trying to get some confidence before annual tech inspection...

I have a Willans harness that is labeled with both SFI and FIA tags. Based on the SFI date (May 2005) it expired at the end of 2007. But the FIA tag says "NOT VALID AFTER 2010" on one side and has some FIA codes on the other. Both sides of the FIA tag are shown in the attached photo. The GCR states that the latest expiration can be used. It looks pretty clear to me that this harness is good for 3 more years, but that seems too good to be true. Do you think this will fly?

During last year's tech the inspector made certain to tell me the harness would expire after 2007, but I didn't point out the FIA tags.
kevin willmorth

Re: FIA vs. SFI Harness Expiration

Post by kevin willmorth »

From what I understand, the FIA tag is all that is needed, and its date is the only one relevant. There is nothing on the SFI tag necessary to pass tech for SCCA, so is there a reason to leave it on the belts to argue over? Ours has no SFI tags at all (OMP), just FIA.
brian

Post by brian »

Kevin is correct. Since the FIA takes into consideration the material used it grants the 5 year life. In tech we take the FIA stickers as gospel. I can never remember the two materials, one is nylon, but the one used in Europe is superior not only for life but it doesn't shrink when heated. I've heard stories of nylon melting and shrinking in a fire and not allowing enough movement to activate the release.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks. I think I'll keep the SFI tags on. I will just point out the FIA tags and have my GCR bookmarked.