butterfly steering wheel and front roll bar height

pillowmeto

butterfly steering wheel and front roll bar height

Post by pillowmeto »

If I install a butterfly style steering wheel, is the "top" of the steering wheel considered the what would be the top when the wheel is horizontal or at a 90° angle? I would like to know as I am looking for a steering wheel and I need to replace (add) a front roll bar to my car.
brian

Re: butterfly steering wheel and front roll bar height

Post by brian »

The key to your question is do your hands ever get above the roll bar? Chances are they will and that's not cool. Years ago, Bill Noble nearly lost a hand when it got caught above the front bar. Both as a competitor and tech person, I have been challenged on this issue and have chosen to never have or allow the wheel above the roll bar.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

That sounds like the answer I needed.
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

My feeling is that the roll hoop/steering wheel rule is nonsense.

Here is the basic concept of the roll cage:

1. The rear roll hoop needs to be 2"above the top of the driver's helmet (should probably be 4")

2. The front roll hoop needs to be tall enough so that the driver is under a line between the front and rear hoops. (no distance given)

If the steering wheel is under this line under all positions, then it should be legal. Depending on the distance between the front hoop and the steering wheel, you could have one technically illegal, yet offer more protection for your hands that one that met the letter of the law.

Compare these two F1 videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46ll_Utghc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtoUZxsp ... re=related

even better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NCMTQe9 ... re=related

F1 drivers of today wear HANS devices but I am not sure they use arm restriants.....

I would like to see cockpit high side bars as on most current FF. I would like to see the driver's hands protected by the front hoop; however, this works best on cars like the BRD and Adams, cars that are "sit up". If you have a laydown car, it is tough to get the front hoop high enough without blocking your vision or having the steering wheel dangerously close to your body.

ChrisZ
brian

Post by brian »

ChrisZ, I agree with your points and a builder can always exceed existing requirements and make any kind of cockpit they want. If I imagine a line going from the rear to front hoop there are instances where the steering wheel can be above that line and still have the line clear the helmet. Especially when the steering wheel is close to the front hoop. So you can meet the rule as written and still have a wheel above the front hoop.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FVartist

Post by FVartist »

As someone who has seen a FV go by me upside down at Sears, I can state that the car rode on the roll bar and the front shock mounts of the front beam. There was plenty of clearance until the driver decided to look down at the track and his helmet touched. When the roll bar was replaced it was extended an additional 4". I know that the rule does not take this into account, but it doesn't hurt that there is an additional safety advantage with our funny beams.
Left Coast Formula Car Board
http://norcalfv.proboards.com/index.cgi?