New life for the FV Dvd

1969zeitler

New life for the FV Dvd

Post by 1969zeitler »

I talked with Paul Schiemer today and he has agreed to let me take over the promotional DVD project. After reading thru the several message threads in the Promote FV forum, I decided to give it a try myself. I own a Film production company and have done many projects like this including a WWII D-Day film, The Grassroots Motosports Challenge Video, many WWII Veteran History Films and others.

I have a vested interest in keeping FV alive and well (since I own 3 of them now) and want my sons to enjoy the sport long after I am gone. I have all the equipment to film, edit and produce the film and will work around my current projects to get this done. I will not ask for any money to do this. When it is finished, I will give it away to anyone who wants to make copies or for a small fee, I will make professional looking copies with color labels and color jacket inserts in DVD cases where we can also put printed material inside. I will do this at cost (2 or 3 dollars each) if anyone wants them. I will also make a u-tube version.

I will put together a script based on comments in this forum and will send it out for comments. I will also get approval from our local region of SCCA to do this. I already do photography at Daytona and Sebring so video should not be a problem especially if it is not going to be for profit and it will promote a class of SCCA Racing. I also want to include all other air-cooled VW classes as they support the FV community. FST, Solo, Vintage, car shows, hill climbs etc but the focus will be
on FV racing today in SCCA and other groups. I will include what it takes to start from scratch including some drivers school footage and vendors who build cars and support FV. Websites for FV vendors will be included. Several tracks will be in the film and in-car footage will be there to give a "feel" of what FV racing is all about.

My goal is to make the film appeal to young people as well as middle-age folks who always wanted to race and perhaps have this on their bucket list. I also want to focus on Father-son teams as there are many in the club. You see this a lot in Kart racing.

It's a start. Paul is going to send me what he has and I will begin making plans to be at Sebring, West Palm, Morosso, Miami, Roebling Road and Daytona when it opens again. I have a couple in-car video cameras that I can put on FV cars to get new footage but if anyone has video in AVI, MPEG or ISO format, please contact me. Everything used in the film will have proper film credits included and I will return anything to the owners.

I want to thank Kevin and Paul for getting this started. I have worked on many projects that turned out to be impossible to complete. Still, a lot of time and effort went into the project so a group THANK YOU to them. This will not be an overnight project and I will ask for help from the FV Family when I need it and appreciate any help I receive.

Thanks again,
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
tiagosantos

Re: New life for the FV Dvd

Post by tiagosantos »

Thanks Roger.. I used to be an editor and I'm now a vfx artist for film. I know how hard it is to do side projects outside of your normal work schedule, so I appreciate the effort you're about to put into this, and the attempts other people have made. Sounds like you have a good plan, I'm sure it'll come out great. If I was up to this, I'd probably start with something a little less ambitious and expand from there, but I trust that you have a very good idea of what you're getting into!

Please do let us know how things are going and if you need any help :)

Cheers!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Roger,
That is really GREAT! I've posted a couple of videos on Vimeo and so have a few others. You can glance over what's there (just search for 'Formula Vee' or 'FV Runoffs) and get back with me if you want the raw footage. Doug Voss has posted a couple too and I'm sure he'd also be glad to send you the raw stuff. My video of the '09 Runoffs has some 'pretty intense' CLOSE RACING in the lead pack (of about 10 or so) ... that is... "lead pack" NOT counting that other guy we couldn't see after lap 3 :mrgreen: .

Post here if you need anything specific and we'll see if we can cough it up.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Roger,

Send me an e-mail at edwomer68@yahoo.com with your address and I will send you the DVD that I sent to Kevin with a lot of in car footage from my racing at various tracks in the northeast. I have had an in car camera for many years and have some intersting footage. Although my camera is not working correctly and now has some problem with it and I am thinking about getting a Go Pro wide angle for the runoffs and will hopefully have some better stuff than last year, although being in the air and going backwards at the start was impressive to watch but scary at the time.

Ed
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Steve. Thanks for the info. I will go thru them and let you know.

Ed. PM with address sent.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I have asked for permission from the Central Florida Region of SCCA to film at the Sebring Raceway in 2 weeks. If anyone is going to be at this race and would like to be part of the film, let me know. I will get as much track and paddock footage possible and do a couple short interviews. Should be fun.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I have been given permission to film at Sebring this weekend. I am going on Sunday and get as much footage as I can. There are only 3 FV's registered and they may only run on Saturday so I am not sure how much I am going to get for the 4 hour round trip drive. I also have a gopro Hero camera so I will get some in-car footage too.

Daytona is out as I would have to purchase a License to film there because of the NASCAR copyright issues. I may go to Roebling Road and get some footage there too. Sebring is a start!
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now