Promotion Idea

fvkartguy

Promotion Idea

Post by fvkartguy »

In case you couldn't guess by my user name, I use to be in a kart club before moving to FV.
The club I was in was running low on memebers for a while, so we started promoting the club more actively. We'd have gatherings where everyone would bring their kart out to an old walmart parking lot (or the like) and just hang out and work on their cars. People driving by would see these crazy contraptions and come see what was going on. Then they'd come to the track and want to get involved.

Why don't we (the FV drivers) actively recruit? If I didn't know anything about FV and saw a bunch of them somewhere, I'd say "what the hell was that?!" and go back to find out more! We oughta have the same kind of gatherings and hand out fliers or something. Increase FV awareness... show off our cars at shows or other racing/car events.
From my personal experience, I think the local kart tracks would be the absolute BEST places to recruit. I never got that into karting because it was somewhat expensive and I was footing my own bill, BUT... there are a lot of kids at these tracks whose daddy pays for everything, so money isn't a concern. They end up spending a fortune on karting! I honestly think it's cheaper to be competitive in FV than in karting, because the amount of money these guys pour into (what used to be) a friendly recreation is borderline insanity!
I think a lot of these guys would love to hop in a "real" car, but no one really knows about FV. The only way I found out was by doing research and finding out about a local FV driver (Bill Griffith) and going to talk to him and watch a race. If someone had come and recruited me, I never would have even bought my kart... which is still for sale by the way, http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/v ... =13&t=3136 , if anyone's interested.
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
remmers

Re: Promotion Idea

Post by remmers »

That's actually not a bad idea. I'm planning on taking the Protoform to the UConn car show, and maybe a few more various car shows local to the CT area (CCSU car show and Oliver Wolcott Tech Car show come to mind) If you can come up with something for me to distribute (flyers, SportsCar magazines, etc) I'd be glad to pass them around. Also, a bit further away from me (too far maybe) is the only good Karting place in CT, On Track Karting, they actually have an FP MGB on display (also for sale) in their lobby along with other memorabilia. I could be talked into driving all the way out there if need be.
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

As soon as I get my car back together I'm taking it to whatever car shows I can. Austin has so many and most of them are free to enter.
I'd also like to take it by kart tracks (especially my old home track) and show it off.

I think we could also advertise for local vee rental services so people know they can try out the cars before buying.
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

I have talked about this before but this is my second year of taking my car to car shows. I have found that it is the best way for me to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project (the charity on my car). Of course, there are lots of questions about the car and our racing so I'm happy to answer any questions. I will even let kids and someone that is really interested sit in my car (I make sure that the master switch is off and the fire extinguisher is safety wired). Trust me, our cars get a lot of attention. Anna Qualls has made up some great flyers that I hand out to anyone interested and I also point them to the formulaveeracing.org website. I think that taking a group of cars to a local Karting track is a great idea. I know that the Woodbridge Kart Club races at Summit Point. Maybe some of the drivers in the DC should get a group of Vees up to the track for one of their events?

Ray Phillips
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

There are also school-related events, such as Formula SAE. I'm on the UT SAE team and it's made up of college kids who are interested in working on and driving cars (most do track days and are involved in other motorsports). Those events would be filled with people who would be easily persuaded into joining our ranks. I'm sure it would be easy to look at colleges' websites and find out if they're involved in this type of thing and when/where their events are.
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

We support the Univ of Louisville, University of KY and have worked with Florida SAE teams. (They have all tuned their engines here, etc.) However they snicker at the drums and cry at $5000 plus engines and $600 tires for 2 or 3 races. You can get them to crew for you but you are not going to get many to invest in a Vee. Their street car cost less than a Vee engine and they do track days all season long for less and drive it back to school on Monday. I think the Kart venue is better since some of them have fatherly budgets.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I have said this before, but.. We have a lot of walk-in SCCA racers, Solo, NASA, NHRA, etc. They drool over the stock cars, exotics, even the FST's. But they seldom even look at the Vee's. We even build a lot of VW street engines and work on some Bugs. Those guys don't even seem interested in the Vees. You have to have grown up with one to really love them.
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

I have said this before, but.. We have a lot of walk-in SCCA racers, Solo, NASA, NHRA, etc. They drool over the stock cars, exotics, even the FST's. But they seldom even look at the Vee's. We even build a lot of VW street engines and work on some Bugs. Those guys don't even seem interested in the Vees. You have to have grown up with one to really love them.
Jim,

I would hardly label this statement as being applicable to the topic of PROMOTING Formula Vee. Based on this advice, we should all just throw in the towell and not even try to promote the class that some of us still want to see prosper -- as crazy as you might think that is. Btw, I didn't grow up with Formula Vees and I still love racing them.

Ray
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

SR Racing wrote:We support the Univ of Louisville, University of KY and have worked with Florida SAE teams. (They have all tuned their engines here, etc.) However they snicker at the drums and cry at $5000 plus engines and $600 tires for 2 or 3 races. You can get them to crew for you but you are not going to get many to invest in a Vee. Their street car cost less than a Vee engine and they do track days all season long for less and drive it back to school on Monday. I think the Kart venue is better since some of them have fatherly budgets.
I'll agree that the kart venue does stand a better chance, but the school events are also worth a shot... some of them might want to get some wheel-to-wheel experience and, compared to tuition these days, vees aren't that bad (and cheaper than other options).
I say we get out there a start recruiting where ever we can.
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
Steven McWilliams JR

Post by Steven McWilliams JR »

I know there's a car show at University of MD soon. I might take my car up there if I can get off work, it's free to enter, but you can put forth a donation for a foundation as your entry fee. There were 3 SCCA FV's at the FRCCA event last weekend paired with Woodbridge Kart Club. I saw a couple people staring at me as I drove by (it could've been b/c I was leaking all my oil out of my loose oil filter too)...but at least they saw me! I also talked to a kart driver that was happy to be in the paddock with us because he thought our cars were cool, and liked watching us.
Steven McWilliams Jr.
Crew: #92 1986 Reynard SF2000
Driver: #19 1992 Vista C
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

If people want to promote FV .... they should start by telling people HERE about FV races they attend. Takes like 10 mins ..... whether you are a driver, crew, or spectator. People on all the other class forums give race reports .... often session by session updates. Let people know what is going on in your part of the country!
Last edited by problemchild on July 12th, 2010, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Here in Florida there are several all-VW car clubs that put on HUGE all-VW events. The Bug-Jam is a 4 day event that brings VW lovers from all over the world. There is a huge car show with over 1000 VW's but I have never seen a FV on display. I will change that for the next show and will display 1 or both of mine. Most of the people who come to these eat and breath VW's and most of them are young and they hang out together so getting one interested in FV might bring in several of his VW buddies. I think this would be a great way to promote the class.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Jim,
I would hardly label this statement as being applicable to the topic of PROMOTING Formula Vee. Based on this advice, we should all just throw in the towell and not even try to promote the class that some of us still want to see prosper -- as crazy as you might think that is. Btw, I didn't grow up with Formula Vees and I still love racing them.
Ray
Ray,

It is a reality check. You are going to have a difficult time promoting. FV successfully to the Kart crowd. If Daddy has the money they are looking at FE, FC, etc. Not considering track damage, it doesn't cost that much more. I have no doubt that people look them over at displays and shows (been there, done that) but how many have signed up? It is a vintage class and that is the people that it may appeal to. The VAST majority of people in FV have been aware of them for years and/or have been racing them for years. They don't look vintage to them. But to any new blood they are vintage. I am not poo pooing the effort, but some reality has to be injected.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

BTW, before someone makes the standard "you are pushing FST" comment..... Even FST is vintage. It however attracts more people due to the lower operating costs and maybe the big tires. <g>.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

If people want to promote FV .... they should start by telling people HERE about FV races they attend. Takes like 10 mins ..... whether you are a driver, crew, or spectator. People on all the other class forums give race reports .... often session by session updates. Let people know what is going on in your part of the country!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Well, locally, Formula Vee is alive and growing every race weekend. We are lucky to have a couple of guys (Bob and Scott at Family Affair Racing Team, F.A.R.T. - http://www.unionracing.ca) that decided to buy a couple cars and start renting them out. The low running costs and cheap cars means their rental prices are usually lower than even IP classed civics and crx's. Keep in mind this is regional, local club racing. No $5000 engines up here really, as far as I know..

So these 2 guys started renting out 1 car, then 2 cars, then 3 cars and I think soon they'll have 4 or 5 rental cars out on the track. And they're usually fully booked every weekend! A few of the guys who rented (including me) ended up buying a car right after, so we've had 6-10 vees at every race this year. Again, this is Regional (at best!) club racing! The low budgets and close friendships make for a great environment and lots of fun. It's obvious to the other racers and the people in the stands that we're having a blast. And that is the best promotion we can do, in my opinion. Make the class accessible and attractive, get as many cars out there as we can and have loads of fun.

I have no idea how to make the current SCCA stuff work. I'd love to be out there driving with the best drivers in the country and all that, but it ain't happening with how much it would cost to even stand a chance of not being lapped haha. $600 in tires for 2-3 races? Most people up here use American Racers and make it through a whole season with one set of practice tires and one quali/race set. $5000 engines aren't even something you think about when everyone else is happy running their 51hp engine for 3 or 4 years..

:)