Promoting Formula Vee

FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Kevin,
The Runoffs START footage on the Team2Stool site appears to be from Tim Remmers car. I HOPE that there is another few seconds of it and that the camera didn't DIE - he doesn't quite get through T2, but it shows what it's like to be in "close company" with no fenders :)

Also - I think it would be GREAT if everything you get could be put on "the" FV website. If we ever actually GET the FormulaVee.us site, it would be ideal. Barring that, we can come up with a new site name and put up our own (FormulaVeeUSA.com?). I would be happy to work on that side of it.

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
kevin willmorth

Post by kevin willmorth »

FV80 wrote:Kevin,
The Runoffs START footage on the Team2Stool site appears to be from Tim Remmers car. I HOPE that there is another few seconds of it and that the camera didn't DIE - he doesn't quite get through T2, but it shows what it's like to be in "close company" with no fenders :)

Also - I think it would be GREAT if everything you get could be put on "the" FV website. If we ever actually GET the FormulaVee.us site, it would be ideal. Barring that, we can come up with a new site name and put up our own (FormulaVeeUSA.com?). I would be happy to work on that side of it.

Steve
All content will be available for use anywhere it can be used to promote the class. The only exceptions could be where contributors have their own sites to maintain, which will require special permission. When this is known, I will communicate that, so we can avoid possible conflict.

I suggest that the DVD and web site can be built to support and reflect one another, with links on the DVD to web content. This would be an excellent tie-in. If this is of interest, let's coordinate the effort and make the two projects happen simultaniously.
kevin willmorth

clubford00 wrote:The last time i checked, FV stood for Formula Volkswagen. Hmm correct me if im wrong but doesnt FST run a VW engine and components?....
I'd prefer to keep discussions of FV and other competiting classes separate of promoting specifically "FV" as a class. Other programs are being well supported through promotional efforts of vendors and suppliers, and have their own agenda. IMHO, the missing link is promotion of "FV" as a class, and renewing energy in that direction.

Another lesson in Marketing 101 is that focus is everything. Once you begin to broaden the vision, you dilute the core message to some degree. One example used at Harvard in case studies is Beer brands who went down the "lite" route. The statistics prove that the companies as a whole gained nothing in total sales, resulting in a cut in volume of product sales of their main product by the amount of sales they had in lite products - double the SKU's for the same sales was not a good strategy in the end. It's a failure as a marketing approach, but once the door is open, creates a prisoner's dilema - forcing everyone to live with the split and diluted sales (and beer for that matter.)

If the FV class is promoted and gains interest, it will float all boats targeted at those interested in this type of class racing. For new entries who know little, any attempt to deliver more than a focused message will just create a softer impact. Let them get confused later, when they catch the bug - slight pun intended of course.
VDF1

Post by VDF1 »

Kevin - I PMd you for your address so I can mail a DVD of the T-Hill race. Leroy
Life atrophies if it gets too far from risk
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

Kevin,

Do you want just road racing videos, or are you going to include solo vees as well? Solo in general is doing very well and doesn't need any more advertising. Solo Vee was going downhill but this coming year the rules have changed to include FST legal cars and increase HP to try and compete with the F500s in the same solo class.

I don't think there's much crossover between solo and road racing, but it can show the variety available with the chassis.

Dan
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Dan, I think this should be for the road racers only, since most Solo Vees are nowhere near GCR legal. Including Solo Vees would just be confusing to the audience the racers are hoping to attract.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
kevin willmorth

DanRemmers wrote:Kevin,

Do you want just road racing videos, or are you going to include solo vees as well? Solo in general is doing very well and doesn't need any more advertising. Solo Vee was going downhill but this coming year the rules have changed to include FST legal cars and increase HP to try and compete with the F500s in the same solo class.

I don't think there's much crossover between solo and road racing, but it can show the variety available with the chassis.

Dan
My thought is that the core focus is on building participation in SCCA FV Road Racing. However, I am thinking that one way to address other VW based formula cars, and other venues outside road racing, is to add a segment in the DVD for venues and related formulas, as stand alone segments, maybe 5-6 minutes each. Sort of like the "extras" on a production movie DVD. This would maintain the primary message on FV raod racing, while exploring each of the other approaches on their own. Shows potential racers the flexibility of the class, and potential for adjusting their approach to personal taste, making investment a bit less scary maybe? Could also apply to providing small segments on other series where FV cars can be run, like the MWCSCC, Vintage, and the spec tire approach used out west.

Based on that, to answer your question, while the core intent is to build interest in SCCA FV Road Race participation, I would not rule out contributions of any VW formula car racing. If those contributions are significant, their is a possibility to include them in the final product.

Sound good?
CitationFV21

SCCA Advertizing

Post by CitationFV21 »

Hi guys - remember me?

I started this thread - didn't know it would take off with a life of it's own.

Got my answer back from SportsCar - a simple display ad in the classifieds would cost between $40 - 90 per month depending on size, color, etc.

Since the DVD seem to have the support of the FV community, maybe some money should be held back for advertizing in SportsCar. We need to reach out to other potential drivers. (We could put it in the FF2000 section to fish for drivers on their way down<grin>)

Also, any existing FV suppliers running ads could save some space to promote the DVD.

ChrisZ
Citation #21
Veefan

Re: Promoting Formula Vee

Post by Veefan »

I've been in advertising/marketing for over 25 years, I think all of the ideas posted are great. I love the Formula Vee Interchange, it has been a great source of information for many if not all of us. But, we ready need our own web site.

I love Formula Vee's, so this is in no way promoting another class, but check out the F2000 site, THIS IS WHAT WE NEED.
http://www.f2000championshipseries.com/home.cfm

Yes, I know the cost to run a site like that can be high... but right now... we have nothing.
http://www.formulavee.net/ A Tasmanian Formula Vee Web Site.. WOW!

Thanks to Grimes and the other racers, or we'd have no presence on the web in the USA. http://www.team2stool.com/

Is anyone working on one?
kevin willmorth

I'd like to see the DVD and web site project tied together and launched in concert, so the DVD and brochure can refer to the web site for detailed information. I have no problem collecting and building page content, and this forum could easily remain as the discussion center. I do not see this as a huge project at all, nor is it that expensive. I publish two other sites, plus a storefront, using simple web tools. Beyond the initial build up, the time and effort to maintain an informational site is not problematic.

I have had others contact me with interest in helping with the web site, that would be great!

We can't just hope for all this to sort itself our in our favor. I'm encouraged that it appears others feel the same rght now. With a simple DVD (in process), a decent - informative and nicely styled web site, and some simple hand outs for all of to use at work, related events, etc... to point to the web site and DVD.

On the subject of advertising I offer some caution. It sounds like a good thing, and feels good when you do it, but is not anywhere nearly as effective as word-of-mouth direct evangelical level sales. Ads in Sports Car are reaching an audiance already inside the SCCA, so I am not sure what value that might bring for the money. Reaching VW enthusiasts at VW events, with an FV car on display could be effective, while a small ad in a VW performance magazine not so much, at about the same cost overall. Now, put together an interesting presentation and get some editorial space we can reprint, distribute, present on the web site... and you have some real bounce!

I write editorial for a couple of magazines. I suggest that an article (or series of them) on the topic of a class that will defies the laws of contemporary racing, as does FV (no fat tires, no wings, no big horespower screaming V8s, and no national sponsorship), lives on and strong all over the world - it all started here - and is still some of the best racing to be had on a road course, with a workable budget .... This is the kind of thing that will turn heads, and grow interest. IMHO anyway.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

When you guys get this thing completed into a DVD, we would be happy to promote it on our web site and ship at cost to anyone who wants one. We get probably 4 or 5 emails per week from people who stumble across one of our websites and they ask questions about FV. (These same people often order our book "Getting Started in FV". We have sold over 280+ copies of the book in the last 23 months. Including the DVD with the book would be a nice addition, and I can include the DVD at no extra charge other than media costs. (Whatever that might be.) BTW, at $12.50, we don't make a lot of money from the book either. :lol:

Jim
kevin willmorth

Phil Trindle

I need someone to either provide contact information for Phil Trindle, or contact him and have him made aware of the Promo project. From what I understand he is also working on a promo DVD of some description. Rather than having two projects going at once, if he has made progress, there is no reason to work in separate directions.

I have no ego in this. If Phil has more accomplished, and is closer to completion, I suggest we throw our support behind him and get the product out sooner!

Please, if you know him, or have contact information for him, let me know.

Thanks
Mad Dog Racing

Re: Phil Trinder

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

kevin willmorth wrote:I need someone to either provide contact information for Phil Trinder, or contact him and have him made aware of the Promo project.

Thanks
Kevin,

Check your PM.

Edit add:
Talked to Bill Griffith and he said Phillip produced a short video that was handed out as a CD at the SCCA booth at the Houston GP (Champ Car / ALMS races). It had a quick interview with Phillip about FV and SCCA and maybe some race footage.

Bill said he would be happy to send you one if you contact him. I have no idea what Phillip has that he didn't use on the CD, that would be another discussion.
kevin willmorth

Excellent, thanks for the assist!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Kevin,
FYI _ I have been in contact with Peter Harrison of Adpac. He says he can't remember about the video they might have made, but would be happy to look into it and get back to me. He seemed fully supportive of our efforts.
I'll get with you as soon as I hear back.
Steve
Rob Howden

Post by Rob Howden »

Guys,

I purchased http://www.formulavee.us with the full intent of building a site to promote the class. However, I've been busy this year saving our business from the increasing CDN dollar, so it hasn't happened. I'd be happy to pass the ownership of the URL off to anyone who wants to make it happen.

I'm not making any apologies for dropping the ball on the site development, as it was either the new site or FormulaCar Magazine, and I chose to focus on the magazine, which is finally getting the support it needs from the Pro series. Looks like we'll be around for another year.
kevin willmorth

Rob Howden wrote:Guys,

I purchased http://www.formulavee.us with the full intent of building a site to promote the class. However, I've been busy this year saving our business from the increasing CDN dollar, so it hasn't happened. I'd be happy to pass the ownership of the URL off to anyone who wants to make it happen.

I'm not making any apologies for dropping the ball on the site development, as it was either the new site or FormulaCar Magazine, and I chose to focus on the magazine, which is finally getting the support it needs from the Pro series. Looks like we'll be around for another year.
Dude, you got your priorities all screwed around. Yeah, sure the magazine pays the bills and all that foo-fah... but where will the world be without a healthy FV class? Didn't think about that, did ya!? :shock:

Seriously, the magazine is great, and I certainly understand the priorities juggle. In the process of building the DVD, and associated stuff, I will have the content necessary to get a start on a web site providing potentially intersted parties a good foundation for information. From that, we can get contributions rolling and build the site organically. I'll get in touch and we can talk about next steps.
Greg Davis

Elephant in the room

Post by Greg Davis »

I have been following this thread for a while and believe that while the development of a DVD to promote Vee racing will be entertaining and beneficial, in my opinion it seems that we're all walking around a large elephant in the room. That pachyderm would be a Formula Vee Association.
I believe that we need a non-profit Vee organization with volunteer officers. The association would depend on membership dues and fund-raising to promote the class (distribute any DVD(s), a web site, possibly a quarterly newsletter, promotional ads, etc.) and look after members interests involving the SCCA or other sanctioning bodies.
I know that this was tried in years past and eventually faded away. And also as an individual who was president of a non-profit for six years, I also know something about the committment of time, energy, blood, sweat and tears involved.
However I think that we are facing a critical juncture in the class and, while a web site such as the Interchange is a great way to communicate, it does not organize or focus. You must have a group with a mission statement to promote Vee racing and look after it's membership's desires and issues.
The idea of a Vee organization was intimated in some earlier posts, but there doesn't seem to be much concrete movement in this direction that I am aware of. If an organization is proposed I would be on board to help in any fashion that would be helpful.
I hope that bringing up the subject doesn't bring on too much of a firestorm, but I feel it is something that should be broached in more detail for some discussion and feedback.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Greg,
The Committee agrees with your comments and has already started a process that should direct us toward that goal. Rob initially had Vee'ers send him an email for an 'FV Registry' and we have that data available. As has been pointed out by several parties here on this forum, we believe that an "official" Association is appropriate. Hopefully, we will be opening the new USA FV website shortly - one of the first goals of that website is to provide an avenue for the North American FV Association (or whatever we decide to call it). Ideally, it will include all venues of FV, beit SCCA, VARA, or whatever. I will be working on this in the next few weeks and hope to have a start as soon as I can get the info for the URL setup.

We will start a new thread when the site opens up and hope that all will come by to visit. There are still a number of issues to work out - like whether we want to open a bank account or not (causes unnecessary overhead) and whether it's necessary to file "official" papers anywhere. Personally, I think an informal association would be as effective and less costly to implement, but the Committee will try to guide this process and we'll be watching for constructive comments on this forum.

Steve
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

Thanks for the heads-up on the genesis of the Vee organization Stevan.
I agree that if there is a way to form the group without having to go through an incorporation process it would streamline things and make getting the associatiuon up and running less of a hassle. As i itterated in my previous post, I would be glad to help if there is anything within my talents that might prove useful.
kevin willmorth

In my own view, the priorities are:

1.) Draw attention to the class by those potentially interested in it. This will come most effectively from existing FV drivers and vendors promoting potential new entries and inactive drivers to come to FV. Their is no more effective approach than word of mouth. Having promotional tools in hand, such as a DVD, a business card with references on it, or a brochure, add stickiness to the initial contact, and hopefully generates a second contact.

2.) A well developed web site, with all promotional information contained, including a web version of the DVD, contact information for those willing to help newcomers directly, general and specific technical information, track and club listings, and links to related sites, from vendors to clubs. This chould also include a step-by-step article on how one begins racing in the SCCA, how one begins shopping for a car, and what schools, regional and national races are like, specifically - from schedule to proceedures. Further, the site should include a "FV Committee" segment, describing activities, discussions in process, and contacts to offer input and contributions. The web site can also include a current events and news segments that produce automatic notifiation to people who sign up for just such a service. The web site should include opportunities for advertisers to contribute, as well as free listings for suppliers.

3.) This forum, linked from the web site.

I am not totally convinced that associations or formal organizational entities are effective today. I am sure not joining any more than I have to, and am overwhelmed by opportunities, from professional to recreational. With a good web site, and a forum such as this, the functions of a formal organization are effectively covered.Asking new participants for anything but their active participation may be intrusive. Anyone who wants to contribute to the web site, should have that opportunity made available to them. Anyone offering opinion has this forum. Anyone wanting to participate more directly to the class at the SCCA level, should pursue inclusion in the FV committee. Having an organization without funding from its members is not sustainable, asking of membership dues limits membership participation in this modern age of free communication and information. I think with 1-3 above, the bases will be covered, without having the additional load of an organization on everyone.

Just thinking out loud.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Kevin,
The PURPOSE of the "organization" (whatever form it takes) would be COMMUNICATION! Currently there is no known method for reasonably communicating with the vast majority of the Vee'ers out there (many SHUN this forum). If we can continue and expand the FV Registry as originated by Rob Howden to include all or most Vee'ers, we will have a mailing list of everyone (that is internet active at least) and can email notices about potential or actual rules changes to them. We would also be able to take a REAL vote about "issues", knowing that the message did actually reach a majority of the people interested in the class. I think the Registry or Association is important to the class and should be pursued. My mention of an "Association" implied DUES and although they would be minimal, again important to making some sort of resources available to those willing to put their time and effort into maintaining that Vee'er list and disseminating appropriate information - and the continuing support of the website. Surely, anyone interested in Vee would be willing to pay $1 per year? That shouldn't have too much impact on anyone's racing schedule...

BTW - current registry count is 133. As soon as I get the info from Rob to set up the US FV site, I'll get that input request going again up so we can continue to solicit members and keep that growing. Since National is now acquiring email addresses, it's POSSIBLE that I might be able to gain access to their list - of Runoffs participants anyway. I MIGHT also be able to get info about the SEDIV Regional Runoffs, although I'm not sure they asked for email addresses. (I'll look into that at some point.)
My $.02 :)
Steve
kevin willmorth

FV80 wrote:Kevin,
The PURPOSE of the "organization" (whatever form it takes) would be COMMUNICATION!...Steve
No problems here. However, can't the registry be made part of the web site, as well as new entries to it, and aren't communications facilitated by its content and structure? Sponsors can pay the costs of it. Could not a monitored blog presence produce a level of qualified communication? If the FV committee is provided a communication forum on the site, would this not displace the need for yet another group at this level?

Please, my comments are not intended to damp any interest in any effort to increase participation, so please, do not take them as negative. I am only attempting to explore the most direct and contemporary means to an end.

In may professional pursuits, I work from home for a company 1,000 miles away - over the internet. Rather than make my income from one business, I make it from several at once. In marketing, I've been moving rapidly away from print media to web based communication, and have trimmed spending on advertising in trade journals, to sponsorship of specific editorial contributors. My product design work is no longer "sketch and approve- then engineer", but is now developed in a process of collaboration through electronic files exchange, including all disciplines from concept to delivery. That said, I tend to look at traditional methods and processes skeptically.

so, if an association of some description is indeed in the cards, then I will support and contribute to it, as I want to see this class prosper for us all, regardless of my own specific approach. Just let me know what I can do, and I'll do what I can!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

OK - I've finally gotten something working (I think) :).
During the most recent Committee conference call we decided to secure a new URL - at least temporarily - to get this website thing going. I have been working HARD on getting the database stuff going so we can gather additional members. At this point, there is still no membership fee so please sign up if you haven't already done so (there's a CLICK near the bottom of the home page). I haven't done much else to the site yet, so don't get too excited about how it looks. I'm just trying to establish a PRESENCE at the moment. I'll work more on the looks later. I'll be out of town this weekend, so really wanted to get this going before I left.

The new website is
http://www.FormulaVeeUSA.org

I have added some new columns to the requested registry information. Unfortunately, at the moment anyway, I have not been able to figure out how to EDIT existing data on line. I can edit it myself with direct access to the database, but not via the web. If you have not signed up yet, please do so - if you already HAVE, either sign up again, or send me the additional info via email so I can add it to the database. We have 133 people currently in the database - if I can get the additional info, we will have something that should be truly useful for future planning. We will also have an email address for everyone if we need to do a direct send to everyone to get input on anything that might come up.

Suggestions and data for the web are welcome, but, like I said, I just threw something together to get a site going, so don't be too rough on me. I have more things to go up there, but not enough time to get it done as well as this database thing.

Please do drop by and signup and encourage anyone you know who's interested in FV to do so as well. FST is "allowed" as well - I think they have their own database, but we didn't want to discourage anyone ... some may actually come back to FV some day :).

Kevin - not to ignore your last questions... been working like a dog trying to figure out WHY this db was not working on the web. At any rate, we can't count on people to 'drop by' the website when an issue is HOT. We need direct emails for everyone so that we can get to them in a timely fashion if something comes up in the class. It would be nice to have 100 answers to a direct email request than to rely on the '14 or so' that took the time to read the Fastrack and initiate a response to something that was buried in the middle of 20 pages of junk! :lol:

Hopefull, at least a couple of people will sign up on the website so I can tell for sure that the db is working before I leave tomorrow.
Steve
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Follow up - hopefully, I will get info for Rob's original URL of FormulaVee.US in the next week or so. When I get that, I'll also tie it to this same website.

Steve