New guy interested in FV!

samtheman1027

New guy interested in FV!

Post by samtheman1027 »

Hello FV forum!
My name is Sam, 22 from upstate New York. I'm currently stationed in Georgia and have been recently looking into formula Vee racing. I've auto crossed quite a few times with my Miata when I had it..FV mainly attracted my attention because from what I've seen its pretty cheap to get a decent setup and have fun. I joined the forum to ask acouple questions and get some advice from both new and seasoned racers. I really want to purchase a FV car sometime early next year and I've been trying to find them for sale but I'm not getting that lucky. Is there any specific sites to search? My budget is right around 4-5k for a car. I already have a trailer and a vehicle that can pull it if need be. Any advice you'd give a guy trying to start up? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Excited to join the community!
BLS

Re: New guy interested in FV!

Post by BLS »

Just keep your eyes open as there are cars sold in that range occasionally. I have seen some decent looking cars for 5k on occasion.

Read through all the information here. Just about every question has been asked and answered.
Good luck!
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
fv22

Post by fv22 »

If you haven't found it yet check out this page: http://www.sracing.com/ForSale/forsale.htm
Seems like there's always good deals there. With a little research I'm sure you'll find a great deal, good luck.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Sam,
Welcome to FV! You should be able to find something in your price range. Check the link provided in the post above and also check the Classified section in all of the Vee forums - there are at least 3.
This one - several cars in the Classified forum.

Apexspeed.com - same there - examples - http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76035 and http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74465 Both cars seem to be good cars at reasonable prices.

and http://norcalfv.proboards.com/board/12/vee-driver-forum (Left Coast Forum). Seems they have no separate CLASSIFIEDS forum but several cars listed in the Vee section.

You should also keep an eye on eBay as they show up there occasionally (but be WARY and ask for help here before you buy anything). Also check out http://www.FormulaVee.us and http://www.nefv.org/ for more general information. When you are shopping, be sure to ask whether you would FIT in any particular car - size DOES matter in an FV 8) - some cars are more "accommodating" than others.

Your best bet would be to attend an event weekend where you can generally see several different types of vees in action. Unfortunately, it is the 'dead' time of year for most events in SEDIV. The next event reasonably close to you will be 'Turkey Trot', Nov 26-27th at Sebring International Raceway. If you have an opportunity to go, ask on this forum and/or on the Apexspeed FV forums for someone that can put you on their crew list and get 'up close and personal' with some Vees.

Do you plan to return to the NY area when you finish up in GA? or some other part of the country? A shame you just missed one of our BIG events at the beginning of Nov at Road Atlanta. The closest track to you would be Roebling Road near Savannah. VDCA has a VINTAGE event coming up there on Dec 9-11 and there should be a pretty good crowd of VINTAGE Vees there .. as well as a LOT of people that know a TON OF STUFF about vee racing in general.

Good luck and feel free to post specific questions here as you consider cars.
Oh yeah.. one more thing. Are you looking for getting a car and racing while you are still in GA, or looking to head back north or somewhere before you can actually race? In other words.. do you want race/car info for the Southeast or somewhere else in the country?
And.... info on Southeastern SCCA races for next year can be found at http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http% ... hedule.pdf
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Sam,

SCCA's FV class is strong in the Northeast US. Please check out the North East Formula Vee web site at https://nefv.org. You can get in touch with some of us and we can help you find a car, and don't hesitate to call. They are not all advertised in one place.

John
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Sam:

You might start by scrolling down on this site to the Vehicle section. There is a car for sale in NY ( I know you are stationed in GA) but this might work for you. Dave has a car and trailer and might separate .

And although I hope you will remain on this site to ask your questions, ApexSpeed is the alternative and they do have some cars for sale there.

General or specific questions - feel free to ask, and welcome.

Dietmar
www.quixoteracing.com
samtheman1027

Post by samtheman1027 »

Thanks for all the replies!
FV80,
To answer your question, I would be mainly interested in racing in Georgia and the surrounding states. I wouldn't mine purchasing a car in new York but I would have to arrange a time when I'm there visiting family so I can make the trip up there. Race info for the southeast would be greatly appreciated. I would love to go to the Turkey Trot but I'll have family here and will not be able to attend the event. I'm interested in upcoming events in December and maybe getting on a crew would be the best bet and it sounds like fun. Either way, I won't be purchasing a car till February-March time frame. Now from what you guys have said, a log book is suppose to come with the car? This will be the first race car I will have had purchased so I don't know all the documents that usually go with the car.

BTW, I'm very handy with tools and maintenance so I'm not too worried about buying a fixer-upper and working on it to bring it to race quality. Although the guidance from the forum would be greatly appreciated. Again, Thank you all for replying and giving me a ton of information to set me up!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I just typed about 4 paragraphs answering your 'documents' question, but the forum LOST my reply (ARRGGGH!). Here we go again.

Most race cars - at least cars raced in SCCA - will have a LOG BOOK linked by the ROLL BAR NUMBER stamped on the chassis on the roll bar near the intersection with the main forward chassis tube on the left side of the frame. The log book contains construction information and the date of issuance as well as an entry for every (SCCA) race for the car. It should also contain the names of all owners of the car and any significant damages to the car during races.

SCCA also requires HOMOLOGATION for most cars before a log book can be issued - these are acquired by the chassis builder, whether a 'factory' or an individual. It certifies that car as acceptable for competition in the type and class it is intended for. If you race SCCA, you will need both of these documents.

It us usually POSSIBLE to get by without these, but it certainly makes your life much more complicated and you'll have to go through a moderately difficult process with SCCA to GET these documents in order to compete. And, sometimes, the car will not MEET the requirements for full competition events.

MOST actively raced cars also have a 'book' of sorts that includes stuff like setup information, changes made to the car, etc. This is not required, but most of us keep such a book. You should TRY to get any and all documentation that is available.

Even though you don't PLAN to purchase before next year, it's always a good idea to start looking and investigating what's out there. Many owners will also be willing to RENT you their car for a 'test weekend' and apply the rent toward the purchase if you follow through and buy - it's always worth an 'ask' and it's a very good thing to do. Often they will support or at least help support you during that first weekend and teach you MUCH about the car.

Speaking of actually getting on track, you need to join SCCA (assuming you are planning to race their events) - go to SCCA.com and get your membership card started. After that you need to be thinking about how you want to get your license to race. There are several levels of racing in SCCA, from Autocross (one car at a time against the clock ... usually around cones in a parking lot), through Track Trials (multiple cars in 'similar' classes on "real" race tracks - against the clock with no "official" wheel to wheel racing), and on to full competition wheel to wheel racing. The quickest and easiest method to get a full competition license is via SCCA approved schools - they rent you a car and teach you how to drive it in competition. If you successfully complete a weekend with them, you get a full SCCA racing license. Probably the best known of those schools is SKIP BARBER RACING SCHOOLS. They teach at most of the well known racing tracks around the US. You can also attend a 'driving school' put on by local SCCA regions at those same tracks. One of the 'perks' of joining SCCA is the official SPORTS CAR MAGAZINE that comes out monthly. In the back you can find a listing of all (or at least MOST) of the approved schools, and driver's school across the country. That information can also be found on the SCCA website - but sometimes it's hard to locate on the site.

Keep asking questions and we'll try to get them answered. Ask again if we miss something.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80