Coating of the piston skirts

joeleoni

Coating of the piston skirts

Post by joeleoni »

I am at a point of rebuilding for this spring.
Is the coating of the piston skirts good? Is it allowed for vintage racing?
1200 cc Predator

Joe
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Coating of the piston skirts

Post by FV80 »

Joe,
Coating of any of the internal engine parts or transmission parts is NOT ALLOWED in the SCCA FV rules. I would think the same would be true of most vintage organizations.
Hope this helps,
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

Geez, I saw some A&A chinese pistons with their skirts coated. Are these illegal as well? How about cutting a new top ring land? In the rule, C.4.b it specifies a distance from the wrist pin for the top ring land. Can I cut a new land as long as it meets this rule? Just wondering.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

1) I had a 40 HP German brand cylinder set about 15 years ago with Moly coated piston skirts. Moly is really to reduce startup wear.

2) What makes you guys think you can cut your own grooves and get the right surface finish on the ring lands?

Brian
joeleoni

Post by joeleoni »

Thanks Brian,
There was 2 choices for the coating, one the moly as you describd for start up,
and another more expensive for long running.
I will go with the moly for the break in.
Diggin moly was my last job (AMAX) here in Colorado.
Gotta use the stuff.
Thanks.
Joe
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I believe that Moly would be considered a lubricant/protectant - similar to cosmoline. I was thinking in terms of the 'super' (expensive) hi temp coatings being applied in quite a number of other classes these days. Those coatings become a part of the part and (supposedly) do not dissolve or wear off quickly (like in minutes).

As for cutting your own ring lands, I can't think of any rule that would prohibit that .. as long as the resultant ring grooves meet the rules. I believe the rules allow machining of any previously machined surface.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Brownell's Teflon/Moly coat is the hot set up for DIY guys.

Moly is most commonly applied with bonding or PVD. Bonding contains about 60% moly and must be cured at about 350°F. PVD application is pure Moly and has an application temp of 350-500°F. Both should be considered permanent and not allowed by the rules.

Moly reduces the coefficient of friction of an oil covered surface by about 50%. So, if the CoF is .10 normally, then it will be .05 with Moly. Does that sound like a big difference?

Your are wasting your time on an engine that will be started so infrequently.

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

I guess my issue is in regard to how dimensional identical is interpreted. The Chinese 2mm lands were allowed specifically by the rule, but a 4th, 1mm ring land cut at the maximum dimension at the top of the piston is illegal in my book. Hell, if we can go cutting our own ring lands, why not open up the rules completely to allow any ring lands? It would save a ton on spacers.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Brian:

we probably should change the topic as we have gone from piston coatings to ring lands.

The GCR may not be specific enough for some, however : no component of the engine shall be altered, modified,...unless specifically authorized.

Adding material to a piston skirt is a modification and I stand with Steven D and believe this to be illegal, vintage or not.

As for adding an additional ring land, whether one can make it work or not is also illegal as it modifies the component.

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
brian

Post by brian »

thanks Dietmar, that's my thinking as well.