intake manifold/ carb question

jmattox

intake manifold/ carb question

Post by jmattox »

Thanks to a friend I have a really good engine, but I feel it is asthmatic due to intake manifold and carburetor. Any "inexpensive" way of "improving" the flow on my manifolds. Thanks,

John
FV42
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: intake manifold/ carb question

Post by Dietmar »

John:

First find out what you have.

Flow tests on carb/manifold combinations are not expensive.

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

Next race is in 2 weeks, not enough time to "improve" for that. I will send manifold and carb for flow testing to you after Turkey Trot. Any suggestions on improving flow that I might be able to do myself? Thanks

John
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

John:

Unfortunately, no. There is little that you or I can do to improve flow on a manifold. That is something that I leave to a select few.

We'll assume that the carb is jetted correctly. That will definitely affect HP .
Make sure that the gasket under the carb has a larger hole than the manifold- carb itself. Some gaskets are too small. Also be sure that you are NOT using the stock intake gaskets- they crush and will reduce flow. Use hard copper or Teflon gaskets at the head.

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

jmattox wrote: Any suggestions on improving flow that I might be able to do myself? Thanks
You can learn to acid etch the manifold for yourself. I would be glad to provide info on the process. You will need a couple of cores and 40-120 hrs of time to get the process down.

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

If you have access to a glass bead maching a good internal cleaning will help vertually all manifolds since they're prone to rusting. Be sure to rinse out the manifold with brake clean afterwards. If the carbs are crudy, a bit of spray cleaner down the throat can't hurt either.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

hardingfv32-1 check your PM

John