Light grey smoke

Rolling Stone

Light grey smoke

Post by Rolling Stone »

I seem to have light grey smoke coming from #1 cylinder when engine has warmed up,as if you had spilled a bit of oil/WD 40 on the fins,but it does not go away.I stopped the engine and removed the spark plug to see if smoke came out,none did,the spark plug was also dry(no oil).Its not a lot of smoke,and exhaust is not smoking at all,Any Ideas from the Experts what the cause could be?I had the heads off and cleaned the pistons/valves end of 2010 ...have fitted electronic ignition,done the timing with a strobe light and everything was fine then I noticed the smoke this afternoon,its not a lot,but its there.
SR Racing

Re: Light grey smoke

Post by SR Racing »

Since it's not coming out of the exhaust, it is coming from a bad seal at the head, or just some oil on the cylinder. Keep in mind, that a couple drops of oil on the cylinder can smoke for several minutes. You could use some carb cleaner and spray that cylinder(s) down, let it dry and see if it still smokes. I doubt it is a head leak since smoke there comes out at a very high pressure and you would notice that. From your description it just sounds like it is burning something off the head/cylinder.
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

Thank you Jim. 8)
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

You do not say where your exhaust is located, but if you had the heads off you might look for a leak on one of the pushrod tubes. If it drips on the exhaust, that would cause some smoke also.

Just a thought
Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

Its not dripping on exhaust I checked that and pushrod tubes are not leaking either,after switching engine off,I have a feeling #1 & 2 side is hotter than #3&4 side,or I am just paranoid about it :lol: anyway thanx Dietmar.
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

OK... Something is rattling now :| sounds like a pushrod.....damn!!! test day April 22..gotta fix it.
G.B.

Post by G.B. »

Take it to Bill Vallis.
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

G.B. wrote:Take it to Bill Vallis.
Too far away,I live near Ottawa...a bit like going from London to Reading :mrgreen: I will sort it out...God save the Queen!!! :lol:
G.B.

Post by G.B. »

Sorry, for some reason, I thought you were in Mississauga.
brian

Post by brian »

Sounds like the 1&2 cylinder head is not seated. Use a leak down or compression tester and confirm that the head is seated.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
hojo

Post by hojo »

call billy anyway, he'll diagnose it over the phone!
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

hojo wrote:call billy anyway, he'll diagnose it over the phone!
Already called the Canadian VW GURU :mrgreen: ,I have found a local VW air cooled guy with 30 yrs experience,gotta get the trailer out ,but snow is problem at the moment........ :evil:
joeleoni

Re: compu-tronix

Post by joeleoni »

I came across a compu-tronix DIS4-009 a couple of years ago.
Has any one tried one in their Vee?
Thanks,
Joe
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Sure. Along with a few other modules of similar construction.. Here is a write-up we did on some testing of them. (Near the bottom of the page.)
http://www.sracing.com/Tech/veetech.htm

Jim
joeleoni

Re: compu-tronix

Post by joeleoni »

Thanks Jim,
You have been very helpful to my son and me with the Vee.
I don't expect more hp, with something that replaces just the points.
Just maybe more consistent performance.
I have worked on the 356 Porsche for 19 years after retitrement.
Mostly the electrical, as I am a EE.
This Vee thing is really fun.

Joe