OIL BREATHER KIT

Rolling Stone

OIL BREATHER KIT

Post by Rolling Stone »

A question for the experts in here ......Just watched a video on You tube on installing an oil breather kit from valve covers to a small oil tank...is it a good idea for FV Racing engines?
FV80
Site Admin

Re: OIL BREATHER KIT

Post by FV80 »

Sorry - not allowed in FV. But it's probably a bad idea for FV, anyway. It's used in dune buggies and some solo people use it, I think. Since it's illegal in Vee, it isn't talked about much, but it would seem that you would be more likely to be pushing oil up INTO the heads than it draining out into the sump (or wherever) due to the high cornering loads ... through some LONG corners that we experience, that aren't seen in solo or dune buggies.

Regardless of it's viability, you can't do it in Vee and be legal.
Steve, FV80
PS - I'm not an 'expert', but I have slept at a Holiday Inn Express at times :-).
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

When I first bought my solo vee, it had the stock oil filler tower with a crude vent system that always filled up the catch tank after 3 runs. When I had my solo vee engine rebuilt at SR, I asked Jim about valve cover vents. He said it wasn't good for racing, and recommended replacing the stock oil filler with a different cap (they had in stock). Since then (4 years?), the oil catch can never gets more than a tablespoon of oil each season, and the valve covers never leak.
brian

Post by brian »

Actually I think it is legal in vees since our valve covers are considered free. See C.5.D.18, " Valve covers are unrestricted and may be bolted on." The operative term is unrestricted. I have run the vents before and it can be helpful but cumbersome. If the exhaust valve guides are shot it will really pressurize the area under the valve cover and cause leaks. Vents will reduce the leakage.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Yes, you can vent valve covers, But in a pancake engine it is a pretty bad idea. You have to vent towards the high side and then run the lines up a good several inches above your puke tank and then back down again into the tank. You will still get more oil than you would like. In long G turns way too much oil gets into the valve cover and any pressure at all blows it out those vents. Vent the case with the existing baffle arrangement and use minimum of 1/2" (-8) line. (or two). Run it up a few inches and then to the puke tank. If you are blowing more oil that you should, you have excessive case pressure (rings, etc.) or your oil level might be too high.
brian

Post by brian »

Exacto mundo Jim. I agree 100%
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.