Air compressor & generators

vortech94

Re: Air compressor & generators

Post by vortech94 »

Volume makes a big difference when pumping something up. Try pumping up a semi truck tire with a bicycle pump. Start off at home with all tires you take with you at 25 psi on FV and just an air tank is all you need.
Hal

Post by Hal »

My first air tank in my first go-round in racing back in the 70's was converted 20 pound propane tank. Kinda heavy but would hold all the air you could force into it. Several years ago I bought an no-tank air compressor and hooked it to my now mounted under the work bench propance tank. The set up works well and I use it for when I change tires, you have to switch the AC on an off but this is no big deal for the application. I have a nice AC mounted in my trailer now and it is just the nuts. I always plug into (buy) electricity when we camp at a track where it is available as we need the juice for the motor house anyway.

I bought a cheap 2800 watt Chinese generator about 4 years ago and although a bit noisy it always worked fine when we need it until this summer when it's cheap ass Chinese nature came through and it suddenly started over charging causing my cherished 1 amp automatic trickle charger to blow up like a cherry bomb. NOBODY will fix these things by the way, NOBODY. I know have a about $500 2000 watt Briggs and Statton generatio, with a Mitsubishi motor..... that is much quiter than the Chinese junk, the generator, not the boat, and works very well for all applications. And as to noise and annoying your racing neighbors, these are not things we usually let run any longer than needed, topping off tires with the AC, using airtools, that's about it, then shut it off.

Hal
D-13 88
Citation 88
jhenn4716

Post by jhenn4716 »

I saw an ad for Harbor Freight, a 3gallon 100psi oilless pancake compressor for $40. From what I've been reading that should be enough? No rush on the generator, maybe Santa will bring one.
Jeff
Mysterian #55
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

That is the air compressor I mentioned in the previous post and it is still holding the pressure. If you need to put a lot of pressure in the tire it might need to have it plugged in so it can run because 3 gallon tank might not be enough to fill the tire up when empty but it should work fine for you at the track and at home.

Ed
caracal76

Post by caracal76 »

Get a compressor if you can swing it. You never know when you'll need a lot of air to fill your rains. An air nozzle is handy for blowing debris out of the car if you have an off. You can use it to blow out the trailer or van at those tracks with sandy paddocks (I'm looking at you, Roebling), or just around the house I'm using it at least once a week for something! Then you can fill a little air tank with nitrogen for your shocks and get the guys at the local tire place that fills tires with nitrogen to top you off.
Anthony (actually the Caracal 17-red)

"When you're racing it's...it's life. Anything that happens before or after - it's just waiting."
-Steve McQueen, "LeMans"

"Screw second!"
-Burt Reynolds, "Stroker Ace"