Steering box location

PS122

Steering box location

Post by PS122 »

My recently acquired FV had the steering box mounted upside down with the pitman arm facing forward (on a upper chassis crossmember). What are the pros and cons of this arrangement? Also, is a special pitman arm required? Here is a picture of the crossmember where the box was mounted:

[ external image ]

Joe
smsazzy

Re: Steering box location

Post by smsazzy »

The biggest difference will be where the steering pickup point is on your spindle. It might be a little harder to come across spindles with a front mounted steering knuckle as it is less common.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

There are some good reasons to do it this way but a some problems as well. I build my cars this way since it is much easier to get a tall person in the car since the tie rods are not in front of the pedals hence more room. You need to fabricate a steering arm which is no real problem and the other thing is that you will have to install some type of stop on the spindles or if you slide sideways the thrust on the inside tire can cuase it to go over center and the only way to get it out is to pull it back.

Smasszy must be thinking of some thing else since this style is usable with standard steering spindles and I wouldn't recomend the modified ones due to steering effort.

Ed
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

There is also the issue of what your legs are doing during an accident. Does not seem like the steering box is best object to have in the area shared with your legs.

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

To say nothing of what happens when you break a tie rod that's sitting behind your feet. Can you say sore toe? :roll:
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV95

Post by FV95 »

At 6'3" and too heavy, that steering box location is the only way I can comfortably fit in a FV. I drive an early Vector (GB2) and I fit very nicely in a Womer as well. I do, however, have the steering box padded in case of a sudden lateral stop. Yes, with "both feet in," there should not be a problem, but G forces do interesting things. Point? Wrap the steering box with some padding to protect your knees in case of an undesirable adventure.
PS122

Post by PS122 »

Anyone have a photo of the pitman arm and steering stops used in this arrangement?

Joe
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Bob (Van Dyke) - didn't you post a pic on this forum of your FST steering box a while back? I can't find it now. I use that method myself, but my box is mounted much closer to the driver and probably wouldn't be much help.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

I own the Womer now, here is a picture of it, it's hard to see in the picture... but the steering box has a knee pad wrapped around it to protect your knee's
(thats what the old wiring looked like)

John

[ external image ]
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Actually this is an older style that you weld the arm to the box but I now make a steering arm by cutting off the old arm and welding on steel to make the new one so it is a bolt on application. I used to weld tabs on the spindle to stop it from going over center but Ray Carmody told me he uses longer bolts on the backing plate which works great but you have to shorten them to the right length to make them work. As for the tie rods behind your feet I haven't had any problems in incidents where an accident broke the rods. You could also have it with the other style as well and it is mostly a matter of luck as to where they go in an accident.

Stevan does have his box much closer to the dash which makes his pitman arm longer and he has worked around that with steering geometry changes.

As for the box being over your legs all I do is put foam around it and again it hasn't been a problem in accidents to this date.

Ed
PS122

Post by PS122 »

I received an email from another Vector owner and thought the info might be helpful to others who view this thread:
In case I forget to mention it later, steering boxes, upside down, often leak. So, fill it with grease instead of oil, slip a plastic bag over it to catch any oozing of grease, and pad it heavily, A hard lateral crash may, depending on your height, may cause your knee(s) to hit the steering box, maybe near the knee cap (OUCH). Wrap it well. You will only have to remove it once a year to check the plastic bag for grease thay may have escaped from the box.