Numbers on Chassis??

FollettRacing

Numbers on Chassis??

Post by FollettRacing »

Howdy everyone, I recently got my hands on a older formula vee that I am hoping to run next season some on the west coast. I have a ton of questions but I've been trying to figure out some of the history on my Vee to see how old it actually is, and if somebody out there might possibly have some info on it. Near as i can tell (and the P.O.) it is a homebuilt from some time in the early 70's. The P.O. told me that before they cut out the old rollbar to put in a legal on a few years ago that it had a tech sticker from a California (can't remember which track) race from 1973. The P.O. was trying to vintage race the car but never could get it past SOVREN's rules on its verifable history since it is a homebuilt most likely. Anyway i've been cleaning this car up the last few weeks (its been outside since 2003) and a found some numbers stamped on the frame next to the engine. CA 570139 is what is stamped... the 9 could be a S but it looks more like a 9 I think. Does anybody know what this is??
Ok now i have a few other questions.. The first is can a z-bar be run and be semi-competitive in club races with the zero-roll cars?? The car i have has a z-bar setup and Im hoping i can spend the money on getting the transaxle rebuilt and freshening the motor instead of a new rear suspension.. especially since this car of mine needs a bit of time and money to be brought up to current safety specs. Next is what are the requirements for a fuel cell?? Does a guy have to dish out the $900 for something like a fuel safe cell? Or can a good welding shop make one up?
Well thanks to anybody who takes the time to read this and help me out, I appreciate it.
Hopefully I will have pictures up soon.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Numbers on Chassis??

Post by Dietmar »

First, let me say welcome to the Interchange.

Hopefully I can answer most of your questions.

The roll bar number corresponds to the log book which was issued by the Sports Car Club of America ( SCCA) and it matches the region of record - in this case 57 which is San Diego .

The fuel cell- call SR Racing- click the banner at the top. Cells are a lot less than what you stated- unless it requires a custom fit. Jim can help you with the cell.
Most organizations require a foam filled bladder so just a steel or aluminum tank will not work (legally).

Suspension: some can make anything work and be competitive. Guess the question is how well the other cars are set up. Since you said zero roll cars , I would assume that you are not interested in Vintage per say but rather regional racing. Can YOU make it work, yes. Will it be at the front, chances are that it will not. Since you mentioned SOVREN I am guessing that you are far north of me. Not too familiar with the vintage racing other than what happens in S. California. Were you to race here, it is not uncommon for a "z" barred car to be up front with some "older" zero roll cars.

If you have questions. feel free to call me and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. You might also post some pics of the car and we can try to help with the identity.

Hope this helps.

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
619 561 7774
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Where are you located?

What kind of car is it?
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

If you post a few pictures, I'm sure someone can help identify the car.

In order to race the car in either Vintage racing or the SCCA you'll need a log book for the car. Based on your post, I'm assuming the car did not come with a log book. Since the previous owner was not able to get it passed as vintage vee. You'll need to have the SCCA issue either a replacement book or a new log book. Before you spend any time or money on the car you should tackle that first.
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

To have a new logbook issued by the SCCA for a formula car without one, the car will need to have a homologation certificate to confirm that it's built to the current requirements. For an older homebuilt car, this may require some substantial revisions to the chassis.
FollettRacing

Post by FollettRacing »

Thanks everybody for the replies!

Before I get to carried away I am located In Lewiston Idaho.
The Previous owner had no idea if the car was a homebuilt or not. I can't tell what it could be either. It doesn't look like many of the pictures I've seen. The car did not come with a log book. The previous owner knows absolutely nothing about the history of the car also.
I should give some background info on me and what I'd like to do also I suppose. I just graduated from college and fortunately have a good job (engineer). I've been racing Karts the last few years and have been dieing to get into racing cars for some time now. This Vee literally fell into my lap when the P.O. (also a friend of the families) decided he was going back to motorcycle racing. Im hoping to be able to get this vee to be competitive enough that I can go out and have fun racing others at the club and regional level. I really only mentioned the vintage racing if there was no way I could make the parts I have atleast semi-competitive at a regional level.
Thanks for the info on fuel cells, the $900 I'd heard a while ago blew me away and Im glad that isn't the case.
As far as the suspension goes, if I were to convert it to a zero-roll car, how much $ are we talking about for that?? Im assuming the shock would be the most expensive part? Mostly likely however this first year I will retain the z-bar. I will be giving a few of the shops that do Vee's calls also about this.
Im assuming I get ahold of the SCCA about the log book issue??
Also I tried uploading some photos earlier and it rejected me each time. Do the pictures have to be resized to a smaller size before It will allow them to be uploaded?
Finally, thanks a bunch for helping me out some!

-Reny-
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Reny:

First, I need to edit ( which I did) the region of record. It is San Diego, not Cal Club. I SHOULD know this.

You can get a duplicate log book by contacting the San Diego region- let me know if I can help with that.

As for converting to zero roll- without seeing the car it is impossible to even start with an estimate. Would have to see what is involved as far as frame modifications and obviously a number of "home made" pieces.
Keep the "z" bar for now, see if you REALLY like FV racing, and then decide if an upgrade is in the works.

Hope this helps
Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

You need to upload the photos to a photo hosting sight like http://www.flickr.com and then copy and past the url between "[ img ] XXXX [/img] "

Kinda like this without the quotes

[img]"http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/510 ... a9b.jpg%20"[/img]
FollettRacing

Post by FollettRacing »

Ok, I emailed the San Diego Club and hopefully they will get back to me soon. Otherwise hopefully the pictures I put on Flickr will show up! The nose is obviously in the background of some of the photos (yellow). Oh yes and I do have the rest of the exhaust, and a seat, and the wedge shape gas tank that goes behind the seat.
[ external image ]
P1040743 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040754 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040753 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040751 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040750 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040748 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040746 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040745 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040740 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040739 by rfracing21
[ external image ]
P1040738 by rfracing21

Thanks everybody!
FollettRacing

Post by FollettRacing »

OH yes and I forgot to mention the roll bar and front rollhoop (over steering wheel) were added by the P.O. to make it legal
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

I am in Seattle and would be happy to help you get started. Another person to contact would be Lawrence Hayes in Spokane. He can be reached at 509-768-5408. He has built FV's and could certainly help you convert the car if that turns out to be what you want to do.

I would recommend running it as is for a year or two until you get some seat time. Once you are a second or two off the pace, then think about upgrading it.

I can be reached at stephensaslow(at)gmail(dot)com. I would be happy to help you get started.

Also, check out http://www.icscc.com

They run a regional series in the PNW in Seattle, Portland, BC, Grass Valley OR and Spokane.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Thats a nicely-built car. With an exhaust system and some safety equipment, that looks like the basis for a good regional race car.
It is hard to believe that a Vintage organization would turn away a decent car .... obviously built to vintage standards. I guess they have too many entries :roll:
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
ajax

Post by ajax »

The CVAR vintage vee group would have no trouble allowing this vee, once it is safe to operate! It has it all, a fan, Z bar and coil over shocks. While pictures do not show the tail or nose body work, the vee appears like a Zink clone. CVAR (TX, OK) and RMVR (CO area) both issue their own log books. Even if a new car is not perfect vintage, we work with new owners to help them over time meet the spirit of vintage spec, which is close to the Monoposto rules for FV. and care little about any SCCA history, who are they anyhow?? :lol:
brian

Post by brian »

In So Cal VARA runs four variations of vees on their weekends so there's no reason why your car won't fit in somewhere. Other than safety issues, and Dietmar can help there, you should be able to run that car as is.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FollettRacing

Post by FollettRacing »

Smsazzy- when you mentioned Lawrence Hayes in Spokane that rang a bell, He is who put the roll bar and built a gas tank for this car in the early 2000's. The P.O. told me that last time I spoke with him. Also the Icscc is "conference" correct? That is the series I am hoping to be able to run in.
As far as why SOVREN wouldn't accept this car for vintage racing, the P.O. said that because he did not have a Log Book and had no way to verify the car being built before 1970 they would not let him run...that was in 2001 I believe.
I will snap a few pictures of the nose cone and exhaust today hopefully when I get home. Im curious to see everyone's opinion on the exhaust. I will have to make the tail section of bodywork for it, does anybody have any suggestions on that?? Or should I just go get some aluminum and go at it?
Oh and 'ajax- thanks for the info on some of the other vintage regions, I appreciate it.
Thanks everyone!
-Reny-
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

SOVREN is very strict. Must be documented pre-1969.

ICSCC is indeed conference. That is where I started with a 1969 Reichmark that was modernized.

Let me know how I can help.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR