Cooling???

77fmod

Cooling???

Post by 77fmod »

Hello everyone,
As some of you know I run SOLO and I have a need to cool the car between runs when I have a co-driver. You guys run in the wet, do you ever worry about damage from the water on hot heads? I am thinking it is no different than an air cooled motorcycle engine in the rain. Am I wrong?
I have a couple of radiator fans than that really pump the air but I was thinking adding a mist of water to it would greatly enhance the cooling..
What would be your recommendations?

Thanks once again,

Johnny B.
Lynn

Re: Cooling???

Post by Lynn »

Drew sprayed the heads and cylinders with a garden sprayer. I mean soaked them. I did the same. I have scoops on the car now with the 1915 (not Drew's engine) and it doesn't get hot enough to spray with a single driver. Don't have a lot of experience with two with this setup, but it seems alright with two drivers.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

My solo vee has the 1600 built to the old rules (85 hp). I have a hand pumped spray bottle--like a Windex bottle--that I use to spray the heads after each run. I spray a few pumps on each head, then wait a minute, then spray again. I do that until the water doesn't steam. The motor has been running fine since the last rebuild about 5 years ago. I do have to tighten the intake & exhaust and spark plugs on a regular basis, since they tend to loosen up.

I wouldn't want to pour large amounts of water directly on the heads. That may cause cracks.

I know some solo vees have electric cooling fans. No matter what method you use, it's good to have a head temp gauge.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

How about a gas-powered leaf blower? Might as well annoy the F500 drivers in grid with a two-stroke engine of your own..... :twisted: