codes stamped on transaxle

1969zeitler

codes stamped on transaxle

Post by 1969zeitler »

I got 2 transaxles with the 72 Zink and mystery frame I got off ebay last month.They have the following stamped on them.

SHORT 1.22 0.89 LRE 12.14.95
LONG 1.22 0.89 LRE 06.29.98

I figured out that they are both have been rebuilt by LRE and I have a short and a long box. I Think the 1.22 is the 3rd gear. What is the 0.89?

These were rebuilt a long time ago. Neither are leaking and they spin just fine with no funny noises. Is it common to have a transaxle last this long? I know it depends on how often it is used. Anybody have a box that was rebuilt that long agao and still being used?
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
brp

Re: codes stamped on transaxle

Post by brp »

Yes the 1.22 is the 3rd gear ratio.
The .89 is the 4th gear ratio (the other legal 4th gear is a .82 ratio, but that one is not commonly used)
And the date is when the trans was last done by Bob.

All of that info would be correct as of the dates stamped on the trans cases at LRE. If someone else has had them apart in between then and now, all bets are off.

Depending on how much the trans is used, they can last a really long time. In your case, the car may not have been driven for quite some time. Some of mine that I use haven't been apart for well over 10 years. You'll definitely want to put new axle boots on them. I'd suggest pulling the drain plugs, changing the gear lube, and then seeing how much junk you have on the magnetic drain plugs. They will likely be quite full of very small pieces from the synchro hubs and sliders.

Mike Beaumia
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks Mike.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

Related to this...
Is there a way to translate the code stamped on a stock transaxle? There are actually two, so I'm not even sure which tells me what I have.
I've been scouring the internet for some list of codes, but have only found threads on other sites for the letter(s) that appears on some transaxles.
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
brian

Post by brian »

Those are essentially serial numbers and may not tell you much. There is a process that can be used by counting the rotations of the input shaft and relating that count to the rotations of the axle. Let me know and it can be posted on the site.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

brian wrote:Those are essentially serial numbers and may not tell you much. There is a process that can be used by counting the rotations of the input shaft and relating that count to the rotations of the axle. Let me know and it can be posted on the site.
That sounds reasonable. I'm betting I could do it myself with some thought and calculations, but if you can post the process that would save me a lot of time.
Thanks!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Already been posted ... see
http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/v ... ley#p13238

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80