head gasket?

jmattox

head gasket?

Post by jmattox »

This may sound "dumb," and I am willing to listen to the laughter, but... I don't remember removing a "head gasket" on any of the vee engines I have rebuilt (up to 4 now due to "dumb" mistakes). Do we need to actually have a "head gasket" between the jugs and heads?

John
fv42
FVartist

Re: head gasket?

Post by FVartist »

There isn't one.
Left Coast Formula Car Board
http://norcalfv.proboards.com/index.cgi?
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Mine had a thin copper gasket (looks more like a copper 0-ring if you ask me). A set came in my 1200cc gasket kit too.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

No. You typically do not use a head gasket (copper ring) in an FV engine. This does mean that your cylinder tops are perfectly parrallel and head surfaces are precise/flat. The deck height reuired is .039. If you use a gasket you will lose effective compression ratio. Be sure and do a leak down check after head torque to make sure you have a good seal.
brian

Post by brian »

The original engines used the copper ring to seal out carbon monoxide from the car heater. On the street motors, the hot air escaping from the cooling process is captured and used for heating the passenger compartment. On later motors VW did away with the gaskets. If everything is set up right, the cylinders will seat with or without the gasket but as Jim mentioned you do run a risk of gaining a bit of deck height.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.