Need a winter checklist

Bill Carroll

Need a winter checklist

Post by Bill Carroll »

I am looking for a good winter checklist, my current one is just to check everything, but I am sure someone has one that is organized. Might prevent taking things apart twice?
Thanks
problemchild

Re: Need a winter checklist

Post by problemchild »

My best advice is to not take too much too far apart based on good intentions.
Too many people rip everything apart in the fall with great intentions and miss half the next season or seasons trying to put it back together. I suggest making a list of all problems ever had, recently had, desired updates, required updates, etc. Then prioritize and work down the list. Leave sub-assemblies together until you actually are ready to work within them. This makes it much , much easier to reassemble the car and go racing (despite only 20% of the way through your list).
It also helps to schedule work times. If family and friends know that Weds nights and Sun afternoons are race car nights, it helps reduce conflicts. It also helps motivate the workers too .... as it can be alot easier to lie on the couch on a cold winter PA afternoon then head for a cold garage.
Good luck!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Steven McWilliams JR

Post by Steven McWilliams JR »

Make sure to check all the seals in the rear axle...I changed mine this weekend. Probably check to make sure the brake's are not worn down too much. clean the crud out of the heads. check frame for cracks,. Are you still planning to do the SCCA Pocono school? The Summit Point school is in March, and it's a double school. My dad Matt Hayes, and myself do a couple sessions, and would be glad to help if we can.

Steven
Steven McWilliams Jr.
Crew: #92 1986 Reynard SF2000
Driver: #19 1992 Vista C
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

I change my master cylinders and battery each year. Batteries are cheap and it is better to be safe than sorry.

I change the master cylinders because they are relatively cheap too, and in the northwest, there is a lot of humidity in the air over the winter, and I usually find one frozen with gunk by spring anyway.

I usually have my motors gone through too. However, my motors don't have a lot of time on them this year due to being unemployed last summer. I will likely just clean the valves and go for the first race in March.

Otherwise, just make sure to seal up the motor real good. Fog it with some WD40. Empty the fuel cell and leave it open, or fill it all the way to the brim and seal it up. Maybe put a little fuel stabilizer in it. Keep the new battery on a tender charger.

Replace any high stress bolts or rod ends that you are not sure of. Give everything a close inspection, clean the car and then do your normal maintenance before your first race.

I like to do a frame up every other year, but that is because I am crazy.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR