Another shoe question

1969zeitler

Another shoe question

Post by 1969zeitler »

Wife is giving me driving shoes for Christmas and she asked what size to get. Do the racing shoe size pretty much equal street shoe size or do you need a little extra room with the Nomex socks? I wear a size 13 and it is pretty tight down there with the pedals. Do the shoes stretch like sneakers? Could I get I get away with a 12 1/2?
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
shark32

Re: Another shoe question

Post by shark32 »

My son wears size 13 shoes. He has no problem in his car with his race shoes, but he does have clearance issues with his street shoes. The nomex socks I have seen and use are thin and should not cause a problem.

Barry
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Street shoe sizes and race shoe sizes are similar, though you buy a race shoe to fit snug while you are sitting in a car, without your weight on your feet. A street shoe will have a weight-compressed foot in it, where a race shoe will not. A tighter race shoe is suggested in my experience, even if it is not comfortable to walk in. Your best bet is to find a local race supply shop and try on everything, as they all fit differently, or order 2 or 3 sizes around where you think you are (+/— one size) and return what doesn't fit.

Nomex and Carbon-X socks fit like dress socks, and don't take up much room in a shoe, as Barry mentioned. Shouldn't be an issue in sizing, but you should wear the socks you will use for racing when you try on—if you are able to do so.
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

My opinion, worth what you pay for it, is I wear the smallest shoe I can get my foot in. That's usually a half-size smaller than a street shoe for me. The driving shoe has no sides on the sole so it takes a lot less space than a tennie. I used bowling shoes until K-mart quit selling them for about $6 a pair, leather top, thin sole, no sides.
A) You aren't looking for comfortable all-day wear, I put them on just before going to grid and take them off as soon as I get back to the trailer.
B) I found out driving shoes are not made to walk around in. The first pair I had wore through the soles after walking around paved paddocks. See A)
C) My first pair was low-cut Simpson. The last two have been high-tops. I thought it would be a problem when I got the first high-tops, but I never noticed any difference. Plus it gives me a flap to cover the lace ends, I used to use a piece of racer tape to cover them. I never caught a loop in a pedal, but it was always a worry when I forgot.

Mike
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

I agree with the above. Start 1/2 size smaller than for "street use" because as a rule, you won't be walking far in them. Trying them on is of course best option if you can swing it.

Mid to high tops if for no other reason than this usually provides a simple way to contain the laces.
Bruce
cendiv37
brian

Post by brian »

I learned many years ago from my driving instructor to wear slip on rubber shoes over driving shoes when not in the car. Not only will they last longer but they will be dry and clean to prevent slipping on pedals.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.